71-73 Power Seat

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Picked up a power seat for my '73. Realized the switch knob is broken. Has anyone rebuild one or replaced it with another easily?
I did not know that power seats were an option in the mustang. I thought they were only a cougar option. Cool option. Can you post a picture of the power seat? Thanks

Picked up a power seat for my '73. Realized the switch knob is broken. Has anyone rebuild one or replaced it with another easily?
I did not know that power seats were an option in the mustang. I thought they were only a cougar option. Cool option. Can you post a picture of the power seat? Thanks
Power seat was a Cougar only option never on Mustang. The only case you might have one is if you have a six digit DSO code and your build sheet has the note in the Remarks section to add the power seat. That is only way you could have every had one and prove it came in the car. Any special order cars with no standard items have a 6 digit DSO and have the special options listed on the build sheet.

Attached a pic of a door sticker with six digit DSO . This car had three non factory additions. Can only read the second one but sent to Marti and he said there are three just cannot make out two of them. Marti does not have the special build records so he can only verify that it was a special build but cannot give specifics.

So there is a chance there is a car or cars with a power seat but will have the 6 digit DSO.

As David posted, power seats were not a RPO (Regular Production Option) for the Mustang. If you do have one that you believe was OE it would have to be very well documented with the build sheet and Factory invoice showing such a special request. Any power driver seat that you happen to see in a Mustang were more than likely done at the dealer or by the car owner The majority of the DSO (District Special Order) on cars were exterior colors. Unfortunately Ford's old paper DSO records were purged as computers were upgraded over the years. Same at the dealer level as they transitioned to computers and threw out old paper files. 

Have not heard of anyone successfully repairing the seat switch. Doesn't help that the switch was unique to the 71-73 Cougar and was not utilized on any other vehicles in the Ford product line.

There were two seat switches used in the 71-73 Cougar. The first has a Mustang part number which leads me to believe that Ford originally considered the Power seat option for the Mustang but for some reason was "Nixed" before production started.  

The first switch was used until 7/15/71 part number "D1ZZ-14A701-A" ID# (D1ZB-14B723-AA or AB, D1WB-14B723-AA or AB), and the second after 7/15/71 "D2WY-14A701-A" (D2WB-14B723-AC). Both are discontinued so you would have to find a 71-73 Cougar parts car. I did see one on E-Bay you may want to look at if any of your sources don't have anything.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-Ford-Power-Seat-Regulator-Switch-with-Wiring-Harness-D1ZB-14A706-AA-/302323301813?hash=item4663df7db5:g:OTIAAOSw5cRZIM1i&vxp=mtr

The D1ZB-14A706-AA the seller is posting as the switch part number is actually the engineering number for the chrome bezel that surrounds the switch.

As David posted, power seats were not a RPO (Regular Production Option) for the Mustang. If you do have one that you believe was OE it would have to be very well documented with the build sheet and Factory invoice showing such a special request. Any power driver seat that you happen to see in a Mustang were more than likely done at the dealer or by the car owner The majority of the DSO (District Special Order) on cars were exterior colors. Unfortunately Ford's old paper DSO records were purged as computers were upgraded over the years. Same at the dealer level as they transitioned to computers and threw out old paper files. 

Have not heard of anyone successfully repairing the seat switch. Doesn't help that the switch was unique to the 71-73 Cougar and was not utilized on any other vehicles in the Ford product line.

There were two seat switches used in the 71-73 Cougar. The first has a Mustang part number which leads me to believe that Ford originally considered the Power seat option for the Mustang but for some reason was "Nixed" before production started.  

The first switch was used until 7/15/71 part number "D1ZZ-14A701-A" ID# (D1ZB-14B723-AA or AB, D1WB-14B723-AA or AB), and the second after 7/15/71 "D2WY-14A701-A" (D2WB-14B723-AC). Both are discontinued so you would have to find a 71-73 Cougar parts car. I did see one on E-Bay you may want to look at if any of your sources don't have anything.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/1971-Ford-Power-Seat-Regulator-Switch-with-Wiring-Harness-D1ZB-14A706-AA-/302323301813?hash=item4663df7db5:g:OTIAAOSw5cRZIM1i&vxp=mtr

The D1ZB-14A706-AA the seller is posting as the switch part number is actually the engineering number for the chrome bezel that surrounds the switch.
Steve,

Your dealer info is such a bonus to the group. Helps a lot to have someone that knows the numbers and where to find them.

Back