Can you tell from Marti Report if car came with Mach 1 Stripe?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sciabola13

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
Greetings!  

Newbie here, I am getting my '71 Mach 1 on Thursday!  I just got the Marti Report, and was curious if you can tell if it came from the factory with the stripe/blacked out hood from the report?

The car was recently soda blasted and primed, it was Red prior to that, however the Marti report shows it was originally White, which makes sense based on the over spray I can see on the floors and door jams.

I have done some extensive searching on google and these forums, but haven't quite found the thread yet.

Thanks!  

Jeff

Easy - factory Ram Air.  The Ram Air optioned cars are the only ones to feature the TuTone hood black-out treatment as standard from the factory.  The Boss 351s had a different black-out treatment, but typically featured Ram Air as well.  In addition to the Ram Air and TuTone black-out treatment, the hoods of the Ram Air-equipped cars also had hood locks, standard.

Non-Ram Air Optioned cars did not come standard with the TuTone black-out or hood locks, although I believe they could be ordered.

Mine literally says "Ram Air Option"

https://www.7173mustangs.com/xthreads_attach.php/4250_1485118597_bab94fa5/4b3f3f2c4117d7a6d5a73f3f1e3f0000/1F05H122824_dlxrpt.pdf

Gotcha. My vehicle was not a ram air car, and the marti report shows it as a Stock order for the dealership in Texas so it seems most likely that it never had the strips and hood blackouts.

Hello Jeff. We were all newbie's at one time so welcome!

By stripe I assume your talking about the body side stripe. Since it was only standard on the Boss 351, if on your vehicle it would be listed as "Body Side Tape Stripe" under the "Your vehicle was equipped with the following features" on your Marti Report. For your vehicle to have the two tone hood, it would have to be ordered with the "Dual Ram Air Induction" option. That would include a functional "NASA" style hood with black or argent two tone paint, twist style hood locks pins, and ram air decals with engine size. It would also be listed under the "Features" section of your Marti report since it was also an option. Hope this helps you figure how your Mach 1 was equipped.

Edit.....Jeff, I am a very slow typist and see Eric had already provided you with good solid info while I did the "Hunt and peck" on my keyboard. So now you know for sure! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
OK - 'stripes' is a different thing.  Originally, the side hockey stripes were intended as Boss 351 stripes only, but soon became available for ordering as an option... usually with the dealership installing them - much like the chin and trunk spoilers.

If your car was a Mach 1 and originally came without stripes, it should've had the décor group bright trim along the paint division line at the rocker panels.  If you do a Google search for Mach 1 pictures, you'll see lots of cars with stripes, and some will have the bright trim along the rocker panels.  Those were most likely originally 'no stripe' cars, like mine.  The factory stripe cars will have the rocker paint division separated with an extra 1/4" stripe located 1/4" above the paint line.

If the car was not a Mach 1, it may not necessarily had the rocker molding (again, décor group option), but the stripes could be ordered as a dealership-installed option.

There is a lot of 'no rhyme or reason' as to how these cars came equipped.  Kevin Marti has a lot of information, but even his database doesn't have everything spelled out in black & white.  There are some anomalies here and there.

So, mine is not correct in that it was originally a 'no stripe' car, however my rocker molding was damaged and missing some pieces... so I removed it.  I had the rockers painted as if it were going to be a 'striped' car, but after I got the car back together, I realized that I'd noticed just about every Mach 1 out there had stripes, whether they came with 'em or not, bright rocker trim or not.  I also saw a LOT of poorly installed stripes, and decided I'd just stick with 'no stripes.'  Now, I'm looking to add the rocker molding back on maybe sometime this coming winter-ish.

Hope that helps.  I'm sure there will be some others who know WAY more about this that I do chime in with some better information - I'm just passing along what I think I know.  ::thumb:: :cool:

Hello Jeff. We were all newbie's at one time so welcome!

By stripe I assume your talking about the body side stripe. Since it was only standard on the Boss 351, if on your vehicle it would be listed as "Body Side Tape Stripe" under the "Your vehicle was equipped with the following features" on your Marti Report. For your vehicle to have the two tone hood, it would have to be ordered with the "Dual Ram Air Induction" option. That would include a functional "NASA" style hood with black or argent two tone paint, twist style hood locks pins, and ram air decals with engine size. It would also be listed under the "Features" section of your Marti report since it was also an option. Hope this helps you figure how your Mach 1 was equipped.
Boom!  My Man!  ALWAYS comes through with the info!  ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb:: ::thumb::

Great info! Thanks guys! The historical archaeology part of restoring these cars is fun and fascinating. I look forward to giving the car a thorough inspection when I get it this week, and then starting to chart out what the restoration will look like. It is easy to get excited and start doing stuff, but I am trying to line up as much research as I can. The Marti report is a great resource, as is everyone here.

Is there any benefit in looking into purchasing a copy of the invoice from Marti? I got an email saying they "probably have" the invoice for my car. Does that give any additional details that the Deluxe Report doesn't?

Thanks Eric! Sometimes I have some useful info. :) Didn't want to look like I was trying to be a smart A$$ after your good post. I am a slow typist and also have a 7 month old laptop I'm fixin' to do the Olympic "Out the Window Spin". My last two have been expensive and JUNK. I'm going back to Dell dude!! Am also looking for old pictures of my 80 Mustang (which looked close to your 82) to add to our SVO saga!

And thanks Jeff for allowing me to semi hijack your post!!

Thanks Eric! Sometimes I have some useful info. :) Didn't want to look like I was trying to be a smart A$$ after your good post. I am a slow typist and also have a 7 month old laptop I'm fixin' to do the Olympic "Out the Window Spin". My last two have been expensive and JUNK. I'm going back to Dell dude!! Am also looking for old pictures of my 80 Mustang (which looked close to your 82) to add to our SVO saga!

And thanks Jeff for allowing me to semi hijack your post!!
Yay!  More Fox-body goodness.  :cool:

Jeff, the deluxe Marti report pretty well sums up how your Mach 1 was equipped and a progression from ordering to sold date. Has just about all most people would want unless you desire the pricing info. If only interested in the retail prices you can order a repo window sticker that will be just like you would see on the dealer lot. The invoice would be what Ford sent to the dealer that would show retail and dealer cost on the vehicle and options and accounting info at the bottom that would be used by the dealers office for different accounts when a vehicle was placed into inventory.

Since you have already ordered a Marti report your familiar with their site and pricing. Keep us posted as it sounds like your getting a nice one!

The Q code had nothing to do with the argent or black out of the hood. They were options. When you got Q code in 71 it was ram air. 72 it was not. The hood locks and argent or blackout were an option in 72 was like $28.00 and included hood locks. The Q code got you the NASA hood but not the argent or Black out and no hood locks. I have a 72 Q  and will do both hood locks and without when I paint so I have original and the best.

I think the hood black our or argent  was the best option that gave you hood locks for $28.00. The Marti will show if you got the Argent or black hood with Locks for sure.

Jeff, since I believe you said your 71 was a 351 2bl (H code) the 72-73 hood info won't apply. I have info on a 4-7-71 built 71 Mach 1 that was in my "fleet" at one time and the Ram Air option was a whopping $65.00! In 72-73 there was an emissions compliance issue that limited functioning ram air to the "H" engines. As David posted, in 1973 you could order a stand alone option Two tone hood and hood locks (but with no functioning ram air) for a bargain of the year price of $28.00.

You can post your Marti Report by clicking on "Forum" at the top of the page. The second blue bar down is "General Discussions" and the last topic in it is Marti Reports. There you will see how you can add your report.

There are many Forum members here who are very knowledgeable about these Beasts and will be glad to help you with any questions you may have about your car or the report.

Jeff, since I believe you said your 71 was a 351 2bl (H code) the 72-73 hood info won't apply. I have info on a 4-7-71 built 71 Mach 1 that was in my "fleet" at one time and the Ram Air option was a whopping $65.00! In 72-73 there was an emissions compliance issue that limited functioning ram air to the "H" engines. As David posted, in 1973 you could order a stand alone option Two tone hood and hood locks (but with no functioning ram air) for a bargain of the year price of $28.00.

You can post your Marti Report by clicking on "Forum" at the top of the page. The second blue bar down is "General Discussions" and the last topic in it is Marti Reports. There you will see how you can add your report.

There are many Forum members here who are very knowledgeable about these Beasts and will be glad to help you with any questions you may have about your car or the report.
Nice car...looking forward to seeing the Marti on it. BTW, the Tutone option which included the painted hood and locks was $18 on my 73 invoice.

Prices fluctuated a lot through out the model year, so dealers were constantly receiving price adjustments from Ford. There was a price protection feature in place to protect dealers who had fleet or retail orders to freeze the quoted prices. At $18.00 or $28.00 I believe you and David should seek a refund for excessive charges from Ford. :) Don't you wish you could get all the pieces that made up that option for that kind of money now! [emoji41]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I will gladly post the report. Is there an argument to not share the full VIN on these forums or given the well tracked provenance of these vehicles, does it not matter?

The Marti Reports can only be read by Forum members. But if you are uncomfortable with showing the last six numbers of your vin, you can private message our site administrator Rocketfoot and he can assist you in blacking out those numbers before you post your report.

On protecting the VIN# and I also see people black out their tag numbers. WHY? I can walk up to any car on the street and look in the window and see the VIN# and of course the tag is always there. What can anyone do detrimental to your car with them?

Good point. I will upload my Marti when I get back to my desk.

Back