Self learning EFI settings for Cleveland

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

iceberg65

Reaction score
My Car
72 mustang Mach 1
351c 4v auto
Hi, with more and more people utilising the growing market of bolt on efi options I thought it would be an interesting idea to share what everyone is using for settings.

Mine is:

FAST Ezefi 1.0

4v open chamber headed cleveland with flat top pistons

Edlebrock Torker intake

Hooker longtube headers

Sizeable Erson cam (suspect 108 lobe seperation)

C6 trans with Transgo reprogram kit.

Settings:

Displacement: 351

Cruise afr 14.1

Wot afr 12.4

Idle afr 13.6

Idle speed: 750

Fuel pressure 43psi

Acceleration fuel -4

From here I got a bit of popping cruising at highway speed so I'm going to richen up cruise afr a point. And I'm going to see how it responds to a bit of a leaner idle setting.

The accel fuel being at -4 was a change made before any learning was really done, it was bogging down till I pulled the fuel back. I'm going to try upping that a point at a time now.

Hi, with more and more people utilising the growing market of bolt on efi options I thought it would be an interesting idea to share what everyone is using for settings.

Mine is:

FAST Ezefi 1.0

4v open chamber headed cleveland with flat top pistons

Edlebrock Torker intake

Hooker longtube headers

Sizeable Erson cam (suspect 108 lobe seperation)

C6 trans with Transgo reprogram kit.

Settings:

Displacement: 351

Cruise afr 14.1

Wot afr 12.4

Idle afr 13.6

Idle speed: 750

Fuel pressure 43psi

Acceleration fuel -4

From here I got a bit of popping cruising at highway speed so I'm going to richen up cruise afr a point. And I'm going to see how it responds to a bit of a leaner idle setting.

The accel fuel being at -4 was a change made before any learning was really done, it was bogging down till I pulled the fuel back. I'm going to try upping that a point at a time now.
I might be wrong, but the cruise afr seems too rich. I know people tend to go rich to stay safe, but in very low load situations you can go super lean and be ok. Where is the 14.1 number coming from? Can you check and adjust timing? Also is it possible you have an exhaust leak?

Last edited by a moderator:
I run my supercharged 4 cylinder cougar at 14.7 at cruise, this car just doesn't seem to like it. I may try leaning it out too and see what works best. My system can't control timing, and I'm running of a dizzy without vacuum advance at the moment. I'd have to put the light on it to get exact timing readings, and I know my balancer markings are off a bit

Sent from my SM-G920W8 using Tapatalk

I run my supercharged 4 cylinder cougar at 14.7 at cruise, this car just doesn't seem to like it. I may try leaning it out too and see what works best. My system can't control timing, and I'm running of a dizzy without vacuum advance at the moment. I'd have to put the light on it to get exact timing readings, and I know my balancer markings are off a bit

Is your o2 sensor located according to the instructions lol just throwing ideas out there

edit - maybe the overlap gives you a false rich reading?

edit2- yeah tune it with a vacuum gauge

Vacuum gauge sounds like a good idea to me. I have one handy and ready to go. This thing only pulled like 8in of vacuum off the holley 750dp the sensor is according to where it should be and I just did good gaskets for safe measure

Your A/F ratio will vary by the type of fuel you use, as well as Cam and compression.  It is usually a trial and error until you get close and then let the self learning kick in to refine the settings.  Below are the A/F ratios that I would start at based on fuel used.

Pure Gasoline Stoichiometric 14.7

Pure Gasoline Max Power Rich 12.5

Pure Gasoline Idle 14.5

E10 Stoichiometric 14.08

E10 Max Power Rich 12.0

E10 Idle 14.0

E15 Stoichiometric 13.79

E15 Max Power Rich 11.75

E15 Idle 13.6

Also Pump Squirt and power Valve Enrich settings are used to assist in the throttle transitions.  Each system does this differently so you need to set this value up by trial and error.  I had a bog condition on hard acceleration and adjusting these two setting fixed that.  A cam with a duration greater than 250* @ .050" generally does not work well with these systems.  For LSA less then 108* you may also need to select the next higher cam profile in your settings.

I never considered the differences in ratios for e10 fuels jbojo; I currently would have a mix of E10 and pure gas in my car (closest station to me has the up to 10% ethanol stickers on the pumps, but the previous gas was straight gas) Some great info there. The ezefi 1.0 doesn't have cam profile settings, it does however seem to be compensating rather well for the lobey cam, it hasn't died on me once in traffic; it does still need a bit of pedal to keep it up on a cold start though (very minimal).

I don't have a vacuum advance to hook up. I'll eventually get a different distributor, but for the time being the car is running very well, I only got the popping at cruise a couple times after a while down the highway. Hence why I was going to enrich my cruise ratio a bit.

Also worth mentioning that I have the little green stall in my car (~2800 stall) and 4:11 gears

I never considered the differences in ratios for e10 fuels  jbojo; I currently would have a mix of E10 and pure gas in my car (closest station to me has the up to 10% ethanol stickers on the pumps, but the previous gas was straight gas) Some great info there. The ezefi 1.0 doesn't have cam profile settings, it does however seem to be compensating rather well for the lobey cam, it hasn't died on me once in traffic; it does still need a bit of pedal to keep it up on a cold start though (very minimal).

I don't have a vacuum advance to hook up. I'll eventually get a different distributor, but for the time being the car is running very well, I only got the popping at cruise a couple times after a while down the highway. Hence why I was going to enrich my cruise ratio a bit.

Also worth mentioning that I have the little green stall in my car (~2800 stall) and 4:11 gears
Doesn't the EZ system have an option to simulate vacuum?  It has a MAP sensor so it should be able to do that.

It has a map sensor but no controls in the system I have. The 1.0 system really is pretty bare bones as it was one of the first reliable setups on the market.

You can get a handheld upgrade that opens up some additional setting options though; and it's a much nicer touch screen. I got the system I'm using used for a good price, otherwise I'd probably have gotten the sniper setup.

Just checked my timing; its around 14* at idle and 37* by about 3800rpm pulling 7 inHg vacuum at idle.

If you haven't already done so when the ECU controls timing the motor runs much better.  I have a distributor that is locked out so I can simulate the type of vacuum and the amount from the handheld.  I don't have the EZ system but was just looking at the EZ 2.0 manual and that looks like a good system.  These have come a long ways since I bought mine.

They have come a long way and the 2.0 system is much nicer then what I have, I am still very happy with how its performing for the money I've spent though. My setup cant control timing electronically; in the future I may look at getting a programmable ignition box though, for the time being I get to tune timing the old school way.

Back