Engine frame mounts for a 429 engine instal

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1, M code, 4 speed.
This needs to be a quick question and answer. A friend is nearing completion of a Mach 1 total rebuild with a 460 and T56 transmission implant. I do not know what year the 460 is and not being a 429 guy, I'm assuming the blocks are the same, just the stoke different between a 429 and 460.

The engine mounts themselves are available, but the question is; are the FRAME mounts the same as on a 351C car? His are missing completely and is thinking of fabricating his own, but if they are the same, he can likely find some and save the hassle of making them.

I know the 351 and 429 are interchangeable, but are the frame mounts the same. Attached is an old picture of my 351C frame mount. The green marks the holes.

A quick answer most welcome guys, he want to test fit the engine this weekend.

Geoff.

Geoff, my info indicates the frame bracket being different between the 351C and the 385 series big block.  I don't have any dimensions on the brackets to see exactly how much difference there really is. The only 429 car I owned was a 72 Gran Torino Sport which was a full frame car and had a different set up.

There is also a bracket that bolts to the block. It has two studs that are used to fasten it to the top of the insulator/motor mount.  I will post a link to a site that handles these engine swap 429/460 pieces that some of my friends have used in the past. It will show the frame and block brackets. The illustration is from the 65-72 Ford MPC book. Hope this helps with the info you were looking for.

http://www.mustangsunlimited.com/Mustang/Engine/Motor-Mounts-Related/Engine-Mount-Hardware/Engine-Frame-Mount-Brackets-Pair-1971-1973-429-460-Mustang.axd

IMG_0621 (2).JPG

They look almost identical but they are not the same! Believe me I tried to get the 351C stands to work but the bolt holes just don't line up when dropping the engine in. I believe they could be modified to work but I ended up buying the correct 429 frame stands from MU.

Thanks to you all. Now I know there is a slight difference and I will pass this on to my friend. Yes I did forget to mention it was for a 71. we know 73's were different.

Geoff.

Last edited by a moderator:

Latest posts

Back