Advice on selling 72 Couple project

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RocketFoot

Stangin' ain't easy but somebody gotta do it!
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1
To make a long story short, My Dad and I were building a 72 Coupe.  We currently have it tore down to and were just about to start reassembly with all new parts from Ohio Mustang.  We also have a brand new Ford Racing crate 306 ready to drop in but Dad passed away in December and the estate needs sold so I am losing the work shop.  I have a new garage but I don't have room for a restoration project...I won't have the proper tools to weld the panel;s back in the engine bay and I have lost a lot of interest in restoring it altogether.  I still have the 71 Mach 1 but I think it is time to consider selling the 72 project.

So the question is, where is the best place to market the project?  I will obviously list it here and on Facebook but what about Ebay, Craigslist, etc?  I'd like to get it sold pretty quick!

Also, what is a good starting price to ask?  This car was my Grandma's...it has a clean title in my name and has about 35K original miles.  It has the Ginger interior in mint condition!  All original!!  I also have 80% of the parts needed to put it back together including the Ford Racing crate motor, stainless Hooker headers, chrome bumpers, emblems, engine bay panels, front disc brake conversion parts and much more.  There is probably $6000 in parts alone! 

1_17_07_10_9_59_24.jpeg

1_17_07_10_9_56_06.jpeg

1_20_04_11_10_48_46.jpeg

All in all, it is pretty solid other than the front clip and roof but the interior is mint and untouched from any weather or damage!  Floors and trunk are pretty decent!  So what do you guys think?  How can I sell this and what is it worth?

Sorry you are having to sell and for the loss of your Dad.

It looks like a pretty nice car to restore. If you are pressed for time then the price will need to drop probably. Advertise on cl in several different cities. There are also other Mustang Forums that I have put ads for stuff I needed and found. When you list do not refer to estate or needing to sell.

As far as price I would list everything you have new like the engine.

If the car is together like the pics it will sell better. If apart it scares most away.

I purchased a 72 Q CJ Vert off cl a couple years ago that was a divorce sell. He had $16,000 in receipts for all the NOS Ford parts, ram air, dip strip entire body, seam seal and prime, several sets of fenders, trunks, spoilers, NASA hood. Engine was rebuilt and on engine stand. Transmission rebuilt with extra clutches and shift kit added. Had to make two trips to get everything. He had the ad on cl for weeks and no takers, nobody even came to look because the car was only in primer and back to a rolling chassis. He was down to $9,000 when I went to verify VIN# and see the car. I took $5,000 cash and he would not take so I left. He called two weeks later and I got for $5,500 about what was in the engine and trans rebuild.

Price is what anyone will pay on a give day. It is a good time to sell not around the holidays or winter.

A car of any kind is a money pit not many have a return when you buy and build.

Sorry for your loss.

Is the original motor and trans still in the car? I would say the new motor is worth more than the car unfortunately. Coupes just don't hold their value like the fastbacks.

I have the original 250 but it is seized from sitting too long.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

I have the original 250 but it is seized from sitting too long.

Barry, that's what happens to me when I sit for a long time too

I have a busy work week through the weekend but I will get some photos for you. Soon!

You might consider selling the car without the parts pretty cheap and then selling the parts on their own. More hassel but it may net more money.

Sorry about your dad..

Back