Paint Codes

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Helicopter

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang, 351 Cleveland 2bbl. vinyl roof.
I am restoring my old 1973 'Tang  and it has a 3B code for the paint but the examples I have seen online doesn't look like the light Blue that was original.

I am considering having the underside of the hood painted now whilst I have it off.  Would it be a good idea to use paint stripper rather than try to sand the old paint off?

Roy

SAM_0183.JPG

Paint stripper is fine as long as you get 100% of the residue cleaned off before applying any primer or paint. If you have traces of the stripper material trapped in the seams or underneath a section, it will have a very bad effect on new paint.

Here is the info from the original 1973 Ford color chart paint codes for 3B... Comparing the image below to the physical paint chip on the chart, the image is a bit lighter.

Last edited by a moderator:
If the paint is not peeling a good cleaning and sand with scotch brite should be ok. BTW the flat black along the rear edge of the hood is correct. Was not masked off just sprayed. It was on all light colored paint. Might have been all I have never paid any attention. It was to hide some of the ugly.

Here is the info from the original 1973 Ford color chart paint codes for 3B... Comparing the image below to the physical paint chip on the chart, the image is a bit lighter.

Yes, this is definitely the code but I agree for some reason mine looks slightly lighter in colour .  It has never been painted so "3B" has got to be the same paint.  Thanks a bunch, mate !

Last edited by a moderator:
The Underhood paint has some bad places and it is 47 years old. 

I just wonder if I should take it to a paint and body shop just for underneath.  When I eventually get it painted I doubt they will take the hood off to do a repaint.

Good idea?

Roy

If the paint is not peeling a good cleaning and sand with scotch brite should be ok. BTW the flat black along the rear edge of the hood is correct. Was not masked off just sprayed. It was on all light colored paint. Might have been all I have never paid any attention. It was to hide some of the ugly.
The blackout under the back edge of the hood was on all of the light color cars, so the driver cant see the bottom of the hood, and also the lower pinch welds on the body were also blacked out, so when standing 10 feet away you can't see the pinch welds.

http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/paint_info.htm

When the body shop did my paint they media blasted the top of the hood but said it was better not to media blast both sides, so they used stripper on the underside. Turned out great!

I forgot to mention that the underside of my hood had the Ziebart Rustproofing on it. So it was harder to use the stripper.

Here is a "before" picture:

When the body shop did my paint they media blasted the top of the hood but said it was better not to media blast both sides, so they used stripper on the underside. Turned out great!

Wow !!! That looks awesome.

Right now, mine is a Sow's Ear hoping to be a Silk Purse.

Good idea on the media blasting.

TNX

Back