72 Mustang 8 track Stereo

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang Convertible 351 CJ 4 Speed Manual Q-Code
Hurst Shifter, Power Windows, Power front Disc Brakes, Power Top, Tilt Steering Wheel, Air Conditioning, 3.25 Traction-Lok Dif, Center Console, Door Edge Guards, Décor package, AM/8 Track Stereo, Tinted Glass, Competition Suspension, Instrumentation Group, Convenience Group, Sebring Knit/Corinthian Vinyl Bucket Seats, Rim Blow Deluxe Steering Wheel, Color Keyed Racing Mirrors

[url=https://ibb.co/gSMafm][img]https://preview.ibb.co/njh3Y6/Cruise_25_1_1.jpg[/img][/url]
Anyone know where I may buy a refurbished 8 track stereo at a fair price?  Its for a 72.

I was lucky last year got two off eBay for less than $100 for both. One was working one was for parts. I think all three years had the same player. Not 100% on the 71. You will need the taller opening in the dash bezel and the clip on the rear of the radio / 8 track seems to always be missing. It supports the rear by slipping over a bracket as you slide it in.

If your car did not come with AM / 8 track or an AM/FM you will also need the door speaker wire harness, speakers, grills and the rubber boots from A post to Door. They are tough to find especially if you have power windows.

There are several people that will go into the player and fix it. New heads, electronics and belts are still available. You can also get the parts to refurb the tapes. DO NOT try to play old tapes without going through them and cleaning the rolls and putting new foam in for the head contact area. You will end up eating the tapes and get mad, lol. They sell all the repair stuff on the net. If a tape breaks they also sell the splices so don't toss them they can be fixed.

Keep the drive rolls and player head cleaned with alcohol and they will work fine. I pick up tapes at our local goodwill for $.50 each and find the cases there also cheap.

BTW there never was an AM/FM. 8 Track player in our cars have seen ads on ebay saying they have one for 71-73 but was in big Ford cars.

Anyone know where I may buy a refurbished 8 track stereo at a fair price?  Its for a 72.
It is not refurbished, but it works. PM me if your interested.

I also have a set of wires with boots for a non power window car.

Last edited by a moderator:

That is the one out the Big Ford cars not out of a Mustang. This is in my original 73 and is original. Only am and 8 track.

That is the one out the Big Ford cars not out of a Mustang. This is in my original 73 and is original. Only am and 8 track.

I have an 8 track that supposedly works.  It came with car (in trunk).  Previous owner got it off ebay but never got around to installing it.  If you pay postage, I'll send it to you.  I neither need nor want it.  My email is [email protected].

I was lucky last year got two off eBay for less than $100 for both. One was working one was for parts. I think all three years had the same player. Not 100% on the 71. You will need the taller opening in the dash bezel and the clip on the rear of the radio / 8 track seems to always be missing. It supports the rear by slipping over a bracket as you slide it in.

If your car did not come with AM / 8 track or an AM/FM you will also need the door speaker wire harness, speakers, grills and the rubber boots from A post to Door. They are tough to find especially if you have power windows.

There are several people that will go into the player and fix it. New heads, electronics and belts are still available. You can also get the parts to refurb the tapes. DO NOT try to play old tapes without going through them and cleaning the rolls and putting new foam in for the head contact area. You will end up eating the tapes and get mad, lol. They sell all the repair stuff on the net. If a tape breaks they also sell the splices so don't toss them they can be fixed.

Keep the drive rolls and player head cleaned with alcohol and they will work fine. I pick up tapes at our local goodwill for $.50 each and find the cases there also cheap.

BTW there never was an AM/FM. 8 Track player in our cars have seen ads on ebay saying they have one for 71-73 but was in big Ford cars.

Thanks for all the great information on the player and tapes.  I finally saw this message just recently.  I did get a heads up that I had responses.  

I finally got someone to repair it locally.

I appreciate the info.

Cris

Back