Hydraulic Clutch questions

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach 1
The real question is who has successfully installed one and what did you use? Did you go with an AP unit or make your own from a Mcleod TB with a wilwood setup of some sort?

I have a TKO 600 with a Lakewood bellhousing and I'm still considering a hydraulic clutch but I'd llike to hear a little more about how has done it successfully. Now I know there isn't much room on the fire wall with the big brake booster but I'm planning on going with a wilwood setup so that should free up some space. Let me know. Thanks

I purchased the hydromax hydraulic clutch kit from American powertrain. I have not installed it yet but it's a very nice complete kit. From the research I did, this kit is specific to 71-73 mustang/cougar and it fits on the firewall even with a power brake booster. That's all the info I can give you about it. Sorry.

Really interested to see how it works out. Especially since everyone except AP says there is zero room to fit a hydraulic unit on our firewall with our brake booster. Please let me know when you get it together because I'd really like it to work. Thanks

I am using a McLeod throw out bearing with McLeod Street twin clutch assembly. I fabricated the pedal cylinder from a Mercedes Benz W123 or W124 clutch pedal assembly. I bought a new MB clutch cylinder and installed it to assembly. I took the brake pedal off and used the Mustangs original brakepedal. I only fabricated a bracket for the assembly. Been using that ever since and the service parts are basically free from the MB catalog.

No need to place the cylinder to the heated enginecompartment. I only made a pressure line from cylinder to the the throw out bearing. I placed the hydraulic clutch reservoir in the enginecompartment above the pedal cylinder. It was worth of fabricating, I would do it again if needed to.

picture is only for a reference

DSC00315.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I actually forgot about this post. My American powertrain hydraulic clutch kit was specifically designed for our cars. That being said, I purchased a GPS brake booster which is also a bolt in for our cars. When I went to install both the brake booster and the clutch master cylinder, it fit very well. Almost as if it was installed from the factory. Unfortunately, there's no way a stock 71-73 brake booster will accommodate the clutch master cylinder. It's too big.

pic hosting websites

pix image

I installed these parts and it works great.  Very smooth, but I only have to push the pedal in a few inches.  There is no adjustment.  As the disc wears the bearing self adjusts.  The master cylinder full stroke is 1.4" and pedal to the floor is 1.25" so not  to overstroke. I don't know if I did it right, but those were the recommended parts. It would be great for speed shifting.

Willwood compact master cylinder with 3/4" bore with reservoir - Part 260-1304 @ $54.00

McCloud hydraulic throwout bearing - Part MCL-1304 @ $371.00

I could not find headers to fit and had to do it, but I like the stock zbar setup better.

Nice looking setups. I only wonder why they don't mount the pedal cylinder like the MB does it, it only leaves the fluid reservoir to be mounted under the hood and now clearance problems with the brakebooster.

Guys, have you checked these puppies? They are sweet pieces and it gives you a clean firewall, mounts the brakebooster under the dash - bit of pricey though.

"71 Mustang RRS Stealth under-dash booster/master cylinder system – compact, complete including pedals and hydraulics, dual reservoir with safety ratio above OEM spec."

http://www.rrs-online.com.au/stealth-under-dash-brake-booster.html

Back