removal center console

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mach 1 H code, 351 C, 2V, FMX
1973 Mach 1 H code, 351 C, 4V, C6
1973 Mach 1 Q code, 351 C, 4V, 4 Speed
I'm trying to remove my center console in my 1972 Mach 1. I have everything loose, including center gauge panel.

I've removed dash cover. It is hanging up on the temp control panel, I can't get it to lift high enough to clear.

The clock is still installed, does it have to be removed first? If so how do I remove it.

Thx for any help.

Jerry

[email protected]

Last edited by a moderator:
Its been a long while since I did the dashboard, so from memory, you need open the ashtray, remove the astray, loose the 2 screws, you can then lift the "clock cover", and lift it towards you a bit then rotate it around the lever. It gives you access to the screws of the console bellow that are on a bracket of the dashboard structure. Hope my memory is of any use ;)

edit:

found a pict that might help you more as you can see the screw holes.

http://www.cjponyparts.com/media/catalog/product/cache/1/image/9df78eab33525d08d6e5fb8d27136e95/r/b/rb19.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Set the brake and/or chock the wheels, put the transmission in '1' (if auto, '2' or '4' if standard).

You should be able to lift the whole thing up while moving it rearward, and sneak it by the shifter with it in the most rearward position.

I take mine in and out quite frequently, as I'm still working on my electrics.

In addition to Eirc's post. If you have not done so already disconnect the clock wire harness. The plug is under/around the heater controls behind the console and under the dash. Something I often forget to do first..

I'm trying to remove my center console in my 1972 Mach 1. I have everything loose, including center gauge panel.

I've removed dash cover. It is hanging up on the temp control panel, I can't get it to lift high enough to clear.

The clock is still installed, does it have to be removed first? If so how do I remove it.

Thx for any help.

Jerry

[email protected]
Thanks for all the info, I got it out, working on the rest of the interior now.

Back