Wheel Weight Question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rdm1952

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Mach 1
I am wanting to move the wheel weights from the front rim to the back of the wheel to clean up the look of the Mag 500 wheels. Does anyone have any pros or cons to using the stick on weights on the back of the wheels? Also what does anyone do to the wheel hubs? Wire brush and paint to make the looks a little better through the slots or leave them as they are for the natural rust look? Thanks for any help.

If your wheels were properly balanced you'll also have weights on the back of the wheel. Moving weights from the front to the back, or center, of the wheel will likely throw it out of balance. The best way is to take them to a good tire shop and have them re-balanced, after telling them you want the stick-on weights in the wheels. If the wheels are clean, including no rust, they should stick OK.

I'll let someone else that has dealt with their Magnums respond to the rest of your request.

If your wheels were properly balanced you'll also have weights on the back of the wheel. Moving weights from the front to the back, or center, of the wheel will likely throw it out of balance. The best way is to take them to a good tire shop and have them re-balanced, after telling them you want the stick-on weights in the wheels. If the wheels are clean, including no rust, they should stick OK.

I'll let someone else that has dealt with their Magnums respond to the rest of your request.
Thanks Don. Was planning on having it done at a shop with wheel alignment and balance. Have the back of the wheels clean was wondering what kind of luck people was having with the stick ons.

Your balance guy should know if he can just use the stick on weights. They will not come off and have been used as long as they have mad mag wheels. The new balance machines tell them to put weights on inside or outside.

To clean the drums and rotors if you have the time just mix 9 parts water to one part molasses and let them sit in the solution. Will take a couple weeks or maybe longer to clean them like new. Take out and brush off once a week to knock off the crusty stuff off and put back. Of course you can sand blast if you need done quick. Feed store sells feed grade molasses for less than $20.00 for 5 gallons so that makes you 50 gallons. Gets to smelling a little funky so best to have outside. Oil or grease prevents it from cleaning so you need to have the drums and rotors and calipers and such clean going in. I actually clean Magnum 500 wheels in the molasses and they come out like new. Of course you need to spray clear on to prevent the rust again. Check for threads on the forum about it lots of have used in the past.

I keep something in molasses tank all the time. Much less cost than anything I have ever found in past. Tried the Evapo Rust stuff a couple weeks ago and was very disappointed with it. Was trying to clean rust off the trunk floor, surface rust no holes. I let wet towels covered with plastic wrap stay on for two weeks and could not tell a difference. I am thinking of building a clay damn in the trunk and pouring the molasses in, lol. It looks like new metal when it comes out.

They will rust instantly when they come out of the bath so you need to blow them dry and I use BBQ grill high temp paint on mine. Depends on how hard you are on the brakes how long the paint lasts.

I cleaned my calipers, hubs, and rear brake drums with a hand and drill operated wire brush. Then I used high temperature engine paint on them. New rotor center sections was also painted. After 8 years they still look great.

Before:

Back