Gauge cluster faces

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cobra94svt

Reaction score
My Car
1965 fastback, 1965 coupe, 1966 coupe, 1979 Indy Pace car, 1989 notch, 1994 cobra, 2001 GT vert
On the 72 Mach the black gauge faces have rust on them. I know there are no repops out there to use. Looking at restoring them and been quoted up to $700 bucks. Has anyone tried repainting the metal gauges or anything.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Forgot the obligatory pictures.

43cac3bcb8fa9285f50d4c44427062ce.jpg

cb4bd0906e3f6e6668fba20ed30a4b53.jpg

I would think you could make overlays for less than that. I have a set of gauges I would sell for half that

I've seen NOS for half that. I'm going over to a graphics shop that does stickers and wraps. See if they can digitally scan it and make a mask to I can paint the black and then use the sticker for the white to paint it and peel it off.

I actually found one locally I'm trying to buy!

Damn, I just sold a complete gauge set in perfect condition for a 150 bucks Canadian. Wish I'd known before, you could have had them for 200 US and you'd still be way ahead. Anybody who wants to charge 700 bucks to restore them is dreaming IMO.

Check with Rocketman's Classic Cougar Innovations. They might be able to help as they make the tach gauge conversions with a printed overlay. Just a thought.

White Face Gauges makes overlay sets in stock colors. They don't advertise them, but they are available. They are the same vinyl as the white ones they sell, but OEM color scheme. They are $50 a set, but cheaper than refacing them in paint & print. I have never used them, but they are available.

http://www.whitegauges.net/products/1971%252d1973-Ford-Mustang-White-Face-Gauges.html

Face Color: Black OEM Matte Face (+30.00) (S1-02)

Face Color: Black OEM Semi-Gloss Face (+30.00) (S1-03)

Just a heads up: If you are working on the tach be extremely careful with the pointer. It is VERY brittle plastic and is 'fixed' to the movement - not removable. If you break it off the glue to reattach it will upset the tach's accuracy.

Last edited by a moderator:
Will definitely check into that!!! Thanks

White Face Gauges makes overlay sets in stock colors. They don't advertise them, but they are available. They are the same vinyl as the white ones they sell, but OEM color scheme. They are $50 a set, but cheaper than refacing them in paint & print. I have never used them, but they are available.

http://www.whitegauges.net/products/1971%252d1973-Ford-Mustang-White-Face-Gauges.html

Face Color: Black OEM Matte Face (+30.00) (S1-02)

Face Color: Black OEM Semi-Gloss Face (+30.00) (S1-03)

Just a heads up: If you are working on the tach be extremely careful with the pointer. It is VERY brittle plastic and is 'fixed' to the movement - not removable. If you break it off the glue to reattach it will upset the tach's accuracy.
Ok, I just need to put this here!

This is why I have such great respect for Bob. He coulda easily used this knowledge and and offered to refurbish the gauges for 150$. It would have been way cheaper than the 750 and he'd still have made a profit. 

But Bob still offers advice on how to diy. 

Kudos Bob!

Thank you so much. That's exactly why I'm on here!!!! Learning about 71-73 cars.

Back