Correct Paint For Rear Spoiler?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

icejawa

Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mach 1 M Code,2003 Mach Azure Blue
Hii,

I would like to redo the paint on my rear spoiler because it is sort of sun bleached, and it has a small bubble forming as well.

How would I reproduce the color and texture of black that came on the spoiler?

I've read a little guide on

http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/paint_info.htm

But the PPG DCU2060 is a discontinued product I think.

Is there something like a kit on ebay I could buy? I have seen a few listings for a low gloss satin black but I don't know if that would look right.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Last time I had to repaint mine I used VHT SP652 Satin Epoxy paint. It eventually came out very acceptable.

Be aware that it's tricky to get right. Surface needs to be super clean. Temperature and humidity need to be right (low 80 F temps, low humidity). I spent a lot of time working out how to hang the spoiler so I could paint the entire unit at one time - I ended up making using clothes hanger wire mounted to the bottom pedestal screw holes bent so I could hang the entire spoiler at an angle.

I had to stop painting during the process at one point and start over when I saw sags and runs developing. That meant cleaning off ALL the paint applied up to at point. Once painted it needs to rest for a couple days to cure. Be careful with over-spray on previously painted sections and try not to use two different cans - on occassion I have experienced differences between once can or another.

Having said all that, if I have to do it again, I would probably get a quart of custom mix from the local body shop supplier and apply it with a spray gun. If you don't have a setup for spraying with compressor, you could try using a Preval (https://store.preval.com/products/preval-pro-pak?variant=188754162) set up. NAPA, Home Depot, etc usually carry it. Be advised you will need to practice with the Preval since it can spray out out really heavy.

The paint on the spoiler is the same as used on the hood black. It is very difficult to get a good picture to show the texture. It is not flat and smooth like most paints even satin come out. Pretty sure they use lacquer for them but not 100%. My good camera died so I cannot get a close up of the finish.

It is not as much of a texture as they had in the 69-70 wing. Those wings were very textured. The process quoted by Allen Shepley from Mustang Central was done on my car as Allen did all of the paint work.  It has held up well and earned me a couple of awards from MCA national shows.

Hopefully this angle will show the amount of texture on mine (which is minimal)

P1010544.JPG

I would contact Allan Shepley myself to do the spoiler and bumper for me but I do believe he filed for bankruptcy in 2016 on his Mustang business

If I do the paint mixing myself, would this sound right?:

1 part reducer

1 part high solids hardener

6 parts of something similar to PPG DCU2060, which is just a flat clear coat I believe

Also would I add a black paint to the mix or spray it on and dry/cure before coating with this above mix?

I would contact Allan Shepley myself to do the spoiler and bumper for me but I do believe he filed for bankruptcy in 2016 on his Mustang business

If I do the paint mixing myself, would this sound right?:

1 part reducer

1 part high solids hardener

6 parts of something similar to PPG DCU2060, which is just a flat clear coat I believe

Also would I add a black paint to the mix or spray it on and dry/cure before coating with this above mix?
WOW, I see where he filed bankruptcy. Looks like it was tax related.

Please understand I am not a painter. You would need a black base coat prior to applying this flat clear.

I was able to go out to the garage and take some pics of the VHT epoxy paint finish if anyone is interested in seeing how it looks.

Closer look at the texture

Holy crap that's what ill get thanks. Does this one need a clear over it?

Experiment with turning the paint gun pressure down and the volume up to get "slightly pebbled" finish. Chuck

I was able to go out to the garage and take some pics of the VHT epoxy paint finish if anyone is interested in seeing how it looks.

Closer look at the texture

That does look pretty darn close to what my original looks. There is no shine like a satin and there is a texture of small bumps something like when you spray a pearl paint but not as high. The hood black is the same as is around the tail lights and side marker lights in the front.

For the DDL9381 a review in Amazon says when fuel touched the paint it easily took it off. Do you think he just didn't let it cure long enough or is that paint that weak?

a company called spray max sells 2k "hot rod" black in a high quality aresol can. once activated it's good for about 2 days. try your auto paint store. or amazon. if you don't wish to use spray equipment. they market many other quality products in aresol form. they also have adjustable fan patterns.

Hii,

I would like to redo the paint on my rear spoiler because it is sort of sun bleached, and it has a small bubble forming as well.

How would I reproduce the color and texture of black that came on the spoiler?

I've read a little guide on

http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/paint_info.htm

But the PPG DCU2060 is a discontinued product I think.

Is there something like a kit on ebay I could buy? I have seen a few listings for a low gloss satin black but I don't know if that would look right.

Thanks

Not Discontinued. Just used it a few weeks ago... Great results!!

Back