Tire inflator

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cobra94svt

Reaction score
My Car
1965 fastback, 1965 coupe, 1966 coupe, 1979 Indy Pace car, 1989 notch, 1994 cobra, 2001 GT vert
What is the correct red for the tire inflator canister for a 72 Mach 1?? Maybe a duplicolor number?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I saw that. I always forget SEARCH lol

I have a can of the closest color I could match to a service replacement canister I have.  It was still covered by the original cardboard sleeve so not sun fade.  I bought 2 cans of the paint that matched.  Went back and found the documentation on what I used.

Krylon 2328 Red Pepper / Safety Red - O'riely's carries it.

IMG_0330.JPG

IMG_0331.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I have a can of the closest color I could match to a service replacement canister I have.  It was still covered by the original cardboard sleeve so not sun fade.  I bought 2 cans of the paint that matched.  Went back and found the documentation on what I used.

That looks very right to me. What spatter paint did you use on the trunk if I can ask it also looks correct.

That looks very right to me. What spatter paint did you use on the trunk if I can ask it also looks correct.

+1 on that too. I'm getting the trunk ready on our 72. I'm a restomod guy so all this correctness is frying my brain lol

Also was the rubber plugs actually installed before the spatter paint. I know I under them it was bare.

Also was the rubber plugs actually installed before the spatter paint. I know I under them it was bare.
I have documented original cars that have them spatter painted. A few judges I have spoken with have had varying opinions on the matter.  Thus far in 3 MCA Judged shows I have not been deducted for them.  Another trunk item that has been questioned regarding the spatter paint are the rear marker lights.  I have the 73 with ~170 miles on it and they were painted on that car and it was never dealer prepped.  Other 71's I have documented did not have them painted. I went with painting mine and again have not been points deducted.

71 Original paint Boss 351

P1010159.JPG

~170 mile unrestored 73 Vert

090212 366.JPG

Restored 72 MCA Gold judged (not mine)

1972 Mustang Mach 1 068.jpg

Hope these will help you.

On all rear lights on our 72 they are spatter painted on the bottom of the tail lights and markers you can see some of the white housing but they also have some sound deadner from the quarters sprayed on them also. When the marker lights were removed you can see the exterior body color.

I am a one owner 1973 Mach 1 ordered the car new and dealer did not prep mine either. There is spatter paint on everything, lol. The rubber plugs. rear seat partition and fold down along the bottom, the side marker lights and wires, some of the tail lights. the gas fill and gasket on the gas fill has spatter over spray, event the rubber bumpers for the fold down if I remember correct . I also have an 48,000 mile 73 vert that is same way. Here are some pics of the Mach 1, 12,000 mile all original. It is dirty not been washed in 35 years.

Have had several discussions about the black out around the front side marker lights also. Mine was actually painted flat black before the stripe was applied and the frame is also black. I have see several other low mile originals and they were also painted.

I have never myself seen an original that did not have the spatter paint and black out on the side markers.

Back