wilwood from brakes

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mach 1
Look to add their disc conversion for the fronts only. The car currently has factory power front disc and I'm looking to do wilwoods with a manual brake setup. My question is does anyone have actual experience with their larger rotors and 15" wheels? I was looking to get the 15" 500 mags with wilwoods 12.19" rotor. the standard is 11". Let me know what you guys think?

Well the 11.19's are what I have that don't fit. . . .

The problem is simply that unless you increase the rotor size, so as to increase the area swept by the pads, you really don't increase braking forces much, no matter how many pistons your calipers have. What you do accomplish with larger rotors ios to improve cooling and avoid fade.

Better pads can make a world of difference. I ran some high dollar ceramic pads and my car would barely stop. I put semimetallic pads on it and it now stops much better than it ever did before.

Well the 11.19's are what I have that don't fit. . . .

The problem is simply that unless you increase the rotor size, so as to increase the area swept by the pads, you really don't increase braking forces much, no matter how many pistons your calipers have.  What you do accomplish with larger rotors ios to improve cooling and avoid fade.

Better pads can make a world of difference.  I ran some high dollar ceramic pads and my car would barely stop.  I put semimetallic pads on it and it now stops much better than it ever did before.
Hey Jeff, what pads and rotors are you using? Do you have manual brakes? Just looking for a good reliable setup on the manual side. I'd like to do a hydraulic clutch and it isn't possible with my power brake booster. I guess I could go bigger wheels but it would take away from the look I'm going for. I'd rather stay with the 15's. Shame the wilwoods won't work.

Back