Ignition switch replacement

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

73429mach

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Mach 1
1972 Mustang Mach 1 under construction
Took my steering column apart today, found my ignition switch with some wires fried. I see there are a couple NOS units on eBay and there are the repro units, found a Scott Drake and can also get from Rockauto. Has anyone bought the repro units and had good luck with them? They are a lot cheaper than the factory Ford unit but I don't want to sacrifice quality either. If someone has used the repro what brand was it? Thanks, RyanView attachment 38640

That's the ground wire that got fried. You might want to determine why it fried...

I use mostly repop parts on mine - haven't had any serious issues beyond the occasional color mismatch messing with my partial color vision issues.   :cool:

That's the ground wire that got fried.  You might want to determine why it fried...
I agree with you. I've never drove this car, it had been sitting for a couple years before I bought it. Its never ran since I've owned it.

I use mostly repop parts on mine - haven't had any serious issues beyond the occasional color mismatch messing with my partial color vision issues.   :cool:
Did you actually replace the ignition switch? If so, which repop did you use?

Parts Geek.com has this one for a good price...

1970-1972 Ford Mustang Ignition Switch Standard Motor Products

Last edited by a moderator:
Back