Feul pump quetion

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

micali

Reaction score
My Car
1971 mustang mach 1
Hello,

I do not know much about ford motors but I need to replace the fuel pump on my FNL's 71 mustang 351. Is there anything I need to know about it?

The area around the pump started spilling fuel everywhere, do the pumps fail like this? It's hard to tell if it's a line or the pump itself. If I crawl under there while its running to see exactly where it's all coming from I will definitely get a face full of fuel. I don't want that.

Your help will be appreciated.

I have never seen one fail like that. Often when they go they dump gas into the engine and mess up the oil. Pull the dip stick and smell it, if it smells like gas you need to replace the oil. Might not be a bad idea to change out the oil either way.

You can test the fittings and see if they are loose. If they don't seem to be, replace it. They are cheap and not hard to replace.

Last time I saw something like that the fuel pump body casting itself had a crack in it. They are pretty easy to replace. For me, if I'm already in there replacing something like that I'll also replace any parts that connect to it like any rubber fuel lines and hose clamps. The metal tube fuel line should be okay unless something struck it but you'd probably know that one pretty quick.

Mac

Last edited by a moderator:
Hello,

I do not know much about ford motors but I need to replace the fuel pump on my FNL's 71 mustang 351. Is there anything I need to know about it?

The area around the pump started spilling fuel everywhere, do the pumps fail like this? It's hard to tell if it's a line or the pump itself. If I crawl under there while its running to see exactly where it's all coming from I will definitely get a face full of fuel. I don't want that.

Your help will be appreciated.
Last week I replaced the rubber fuel hose between the pump and the carburetor with a hard fuel line. To do so I had to screw an adapter into the fuel pum outlet port so I could connect the fuel line. After everything was bolted tight I cranked the engine. Guess what: fuel all over the ground.

It turned out I had cracked the pump case by tightening the adapter too much.

So don't only look at the connections but also inspect the case for cracks.

Regards, Manfred

Back