stuck brake pads

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jake

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang fastback - sitting for awhile while working on '64 galaxie - am now starting work on it. Always thought the '72s were very cool - now I get to bring it back to life.
Howdy folks, Just acquired a 72 fastback and the first order of business is - is there a good way to unstick some seriously rusted stuck front disc brake pads so we can get this thing moving, any suggestions before I start taking everything apart? Thanks for any info.

If they are that stuck, disconnect the line and remove the caliper. PB Blaster and a Dodge hammer may be required. Chuck

Might be the same as a BFH also.

Taking it apart is about the only way. You will be turning the rotors and replacing the pads anyway. Just hope the rears are not stuck also. If they are use an brake adjusting tool to back off the linings. One of my really bad cuts came from trying to unstick a drum brake. I worked on it for days. Adjuster was frozen. I tried to break the drum with sledge hammer and no luck. Kept soaking it and I broke a 3/8" chain dragging the darn thing and finally got it loose. If you have a cutting torch get it really hot also helps.

I have the same job to look at on two that have not moved in 35 years.

Might be the same as a BFH also.

Taking it apart is about the only way. You will be turning the rotors and replacing the pads anyway. Just hope the rears are not stuck also. If they are use an brake adjusting tool to back off the linings. One of my really bad cuts came from trying to unstick a drum brake. I worked on it for days. Adjuster was frozen. I tried to break the drum with sledge hammer and no luck. Kept soaking it and I broke a 3/8" chain dragging the darn thing and finally got it loose. If you have a cutting torch get it really hot also helps.

I have the same job to look at on two that have not moved in 35 years.
Thank you for that - was hoping for a miracle for once but I figured I would have to do that anyway.

Back