Starter drive went KABLOOIE!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

danoreilly

Reaction score
My Car
71 Mach1 351C 4V
02 Deluxe Convertible
67 Fairlane GT 390
In all my time with cars, I've never seen this happen.  Started my 71 Mach (351C) yesterday, and heard a funky clinking noise for a second as it fired.  Shut it down after warming it up for a bit, then tried to restart it.  Nothing.  Start just spun at full speed but didn't engage the flywheel.  

So, I pulled the starter off and imagine my surprise when I looked and saw all of the starter drive teeth totally stripped off.  I mean, they were ALL gone, and there were shards of teeth inside the bellhousing where the starter goes.   I wasn't able to examine the flywheel teeth themselves, but I did remove the inspection plate off the tranny and felt around the teeth, they didn't feel damaged.

So, I guess now I need to get the car hauled to a shop and  have the tranny pulled so the remaining shrapnel from the drive can be removed from the bellhousing (and there's a lot of it unaccounted for), and so the flywheel can be examined.  I can't believe it would be wise to leave that crap in the bellhousing.

So much for holiday cruising...

You could use a magnet to get most of it out.

I would try to turn the engine by hand and while you have the inspection plate off you could also examine the flexplate all the way around.

I would but have no way of getting it up into the air to do the examination. I don't know there's enough room to get a magnet past the fkywheel.

Back