exhaust system for 351 4V photo or drawing

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 red convertible 351 4 V
Looking for a photo or drawing of a 73 Q code exhaust. I am cleaning up my exhaust system and want to make it has stock as possible except for the mufflers. I want to see where the hangers should be placed and where all the clamps go.

John J

Looking for a photo or drawing of a 73 Q code exhaust. I am cleaning up my exhaust system and want to make it has stock as possible except for the mufflers. I want to see where the hangers should be placed and where all the clamps go.

John J
John,

Here are a couple pics from my 73 Q code that may help...

John,

I used original style pipes and mufflers from Precision exhaust (http://www.precisionexhaust.com/ ).  Couldn't be happier with the way the system fit my car.  I used all of my original hangers for the mufflers and tail pipes.  I reworked my whole exhaust from H pipe to tail pipe.  Precision uses all the correct bends in the pipes and the mufflers and tail pipes arrive already welded together.  I used high quality U bolts on the H pipe to intermediate pipe connections and band clamps (Walker 2 1/4") on the intermediate pipe to muffler connections.  I had never tried band clamps before  - they do not deform the metal so you can disconnect and re-connect if you should ever need to. My Mach 1 used the turn down style tail pipes (that way from the factory).  I did this project myself and it was not difficult.  I did have to disconnect the LH rear shock to get the muffler tail pipe combo installed.  Take your time on alignment before torquing your clamps.  I spent about an hour getting my mufflers situated so that they looked right from the rear and the tail pipes were clear of the underbody.  Here are some photos I took:

Last edited by a moderator:
Looks good. What did you weld to the muffler to bolt the muffler hanger too. I can't tell from the photo.

John J
John/Steve,

I also used the Precision Exhaust system on two cars and everything fit like a glove. Would highly recommend. 

Also, on the mufflers, they come welded ready to accept your stock hangers and everything is in the exact right place. The kit you need from them is PE023 and I would get the better mufflers (they call them precision performance mufflers) which are a bit louder and have a nice sound.

Last edited by a moderator:
I discovered that not all mufflers list for our Mustangs come with the stock hanger mounts welded to the mufflers. The seller said I need to weld them on my self or use non-stock pipe hangers, so I had to send them back and order the right ones. Returns are always a pain and adds delays and cost to your project.

Is there a gasket or do you use a high temp sealer where the H pipe flange go to the manifold. Looked at NPD and Rock and they did not have anything for a 1973 Q code.

John J

There is no gasket required John.  I cleaned up the interface at the exhaust manifold before installing the H pipe to ensure a proper mating surface.  Make sure you support the H pipe at the intermediate pipe interface (at the proper level) while torquing the flange bolts to the exhaust manifolds.  Mine had no leaks there after installation.

There is no gasket required John.  I cleaned up the interface at the exhaust manifold before installing the H pipe to ensure a proper mating surface.  Make sure you support the H pipe at the intermediate pipe interface (at the proper level) while torquing the flange bolts to the exhaust manifolds.  Mine had no leaks there after installation.
Thanks for the info Steve.

John J

Back