Heater Blower Motor R&R

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
73 Convertible
351C 4v
I have a heater blower motor that is squealing, and I presume the bearing is shot, so my plan is to replace it.  I'm wondering what I will be biting off when I remove and replace.  

Mine is a vert with A/C.  Looking at the manual it says to remove one nut from the engine bay, and two screws from the interior side, take the ducting off and disconnect the electrical, rotate it , four more screws and it comes right out.  It sounds really simple, but it can't be that easy.

Can someone fill in the blanks here that the manual left out?  Any of the dash components need to be removed?  Tips and precautions are much appreciated.

Thanks again in advance.

Scott

I have an A/C convertible. It would be easy enough to remove it if there were not so many things in the way. I have never remove the blower from a fully assembled dash before, but I would think the console and the center dash/radio bezel section need to be removed so you can clear the path and get full access to it. Below are few pictures of the blower nestled behind a plethora of stuff. The actuator, center ducts and gas pedal may interfere with its removal as well. Obviously it can be done, but I doubt it is as easy as you described.

I have an A/C convertible. It would be easy enough to remove it if there were not so many things in the way. I have never remove the blower from a fully assembled dash before, but I would think the console and the center dash/radio bezel section need to be removed so you can clear the path and get full access to it. Below are few pictures of the blower nestled behind a plethora of stuff. The actuator, center ducts and gas pedal may interfere with its removal as well. Obviously it can be done, but I doubt it is as easy as you described.

Yeah, I'm sure its not that easy too.  Just trying to figure out what I'm up against.  Thanks for the pics.

Blower motor can be removed pretty easy.

First remove the drivers seat. Disconnect the battery.

Next get into the car on your back and slide yourself by the accelerator pedal.

There are 2 wires follow them off the blower one is a push on connector.

The second is a ground to the body up high in the dash you can reach it with a long Phillips

Next there are 4 hex head bolts holding the blower and cage into the fan blower duct housing.

I think they are 1/4" you will need a few different length extensions to get a small Rachel around the pedal and some wires.

Once removed push the pedal down and grab the fan and twist it around so you can clear all the stuff in the way. It isn't super easy you will be on your back or side grabbing with one hand but it will come out.

It will take you 1-2 hours to get it out. Then get back in reverse order to install the fan when ready.

I've replaced my fan a couple of times over the years, you don't need to remove the center console or any dash board panels just the seat removal is a big deal to give you access.

Blower motor can be removed pretty easy.

First remove the drivers seat. Disconnect the battery.

Next get into the car on your back and slide yourself by the accelerator pedal.

There are 2 wires  follow them off the blower one is a push on connector.

The second is a ground to the body up high in the dash you can reach it with a long Phillips

Next there are 4 hex head bolts holding the blower and cage into the fan blower duct housing.

I think they are 1/4" you will need a few different length extensions to get a small Rachel around the pedal and some wires.

Once removed push the pedal down and grab the fan and twist it around so you can clear all the stuff in the way. It isn't super easy you will be on your back or side grabbing with one hand but it will come out.

It will take you 1-2 hours to get it out. Then get back in reverse order to install the fan when ready.

I've replaced my fan a couple of times over the years, you don't need to remove the center console or any dash board panels just the seat removal is a big deal to give you access.
Thanks very much for these instructions.  This is exactly the help that I needed, and about what I was hoping for in terms of degree of difficulty.  Much appreciated.

Scott

So I finally got around to attempting this. Got both wires off. Got three of the four screws out but the fourth is a bugger. Its the one at 5 o'clock, and is directly behind a plastic air vent, I think a return as it has holes near the end. I can just barely get a 5/16ths wrench on it but just not enough room to turn. I'm thinking the smart play here is to drill an access hole right through the plastic vent so I can get a ratchet on it. Thoughts?

That duct (if we are talking about the same one its the bottom part in the pic) is only held on buy two plastic pop pins you can see the two holes in the pic. Pop those out and the duct should slide down and off.

On the other hand if you can safely drill an access hole thru the back of the duct there is really no harm other than some air will blow out the new hole.

You wont like this... I was going to change out that fan (had just bought the replacement) and then the BB vert came along and well, I left it. Sorry. 

Yeah I know, no help here, but timing is everything and had the other car come along a week later, it would have been done. 

But, it needs to be done, that squeal was the pits. Best of luck.

Updated, got the motor out.  Rackerm was correct, the ducting comes out with the removal of two pins, which can be easily accessed behind the radio, then it slides out on drivers side.
::thumb::

Back