Gross Vehicle weight and specs.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
Ford focus and 1967 Fiat 500.
Hello Forum. I am in the (difficult) process og getting my car approved by the danish authorities.

They need a 'gross vehicle weight rating' for the 429CJ/1971. This is the cars MAX weight. (I have the empty weight....the car was weighed here in Denmark)

I just need some kind of official looking documentation for the above. Specs from a manual or Ford paper....just something where the max weight is indicated.

The left door sticker does not have this info........neither the right door sticker with all the tire pressures.

Where can I get this or see it?

Any and all help/suggestions would be awesome. Please post a picture so I can use it. Thanks.

Go up to the top of the page and look in Mustang Data and then the 1971 Facts book. I did not see a Gross weight but I only quickly scanned the document. That is the most complete info I know of that is official Ford. The showroom brochure has nothing in it. You might check and owners manual sometimes it is there for trailer towing applications. I have to run don't have time to find a manual online.

Adding the GVWR must have occurred for the 1972 model year. My '71 was built in April of 1971 and doesn't have it, either. There's nothing about it in the owner's manual, nor on the tire pressure chart.

I checked the AMA specifications, and although they did have a variety of weights, no gross vehicle weights.

Anderslober, the GVWR was shown on the certification label starting 1/72. So all 71's and 72's produced up till 1/72 will not show the weight ratings. Our Government was busy protecting us from ourselves, so there were many safety, emissions, and other laws passed that took effect in the start of 1972. (Including the much hated/loved seat belt warning light/buzzer system. A lot depended on the GVWR for the type tire and emissions systems installed when the vehicle was built.

I've checked all 1971 info I have (shop manuals, AMA specs, order guides, built sheets, owner manuals, etc)   and nothing shows anything other than the curb weight.

I believe we have some members outside the US that own 429 cars. Perhaps they have already been through this process and could provide you with some insight on what kind of numbers they came up with and where these documented numbers could be found.

I know this hasn't helped much, but hopefully someone will find the info you need soon.  Good luck!

Hi Anderslober, my 1971 Mustang Convertible was registered both in Great Britain and Germany. The German officials required the guy who owned and imported the car from Great Britain in 1980 (when it was first registered in Germany) to have a metal plate (issued and stamped by Ford Motor Company in Cologne) riveted to the engine compartment that shows the maximum front axle weight and the maximum rear axle weight along with the VIN number and stamping "Mustang T5" on it. That was a requirement back in those days and probably still is. I will snap a picture of the metal plate later, I just have to dig it out.

Last edited by a moderator:
Just asking but shouldn't the official info on the 72 door sticker be enough for your authorities given that the 71 and 72 cars are the same?

Might be worth a try.

Back