Gross Vehicle weight and specs.

Anderslober

Hello Forum. I am in the (difficult) process og getting my car approved by the danish authorities.

They need a 'gross vehicle weight rating' for the 429CJ/1971. This is the cars MAX weight. (I have the empty weight....the car was weighed here in Denmark)

I just need some kind of official looking documentation for the above. Specs from a manual or Ford paper....just something where the max weight is indicated.

The left door sticker does not have this info........neither the right door sticker with all the tire pressures.

Where can I get this or see it?

Any and all help/suggestions would be awesome. Please post a picture so I can use it. Thanks.

• Replies 30
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Go up to the top of the page and look in Mustang Data and then the 1971 Facts book. I did not see a Gross weight but I only quickly scanned the document. That is the most complete info I know of that is official Ford. The showroom brochure has nothing in it. You might check and owners manual sometimes it is there for trailer towing applications. I have to run don't have time to find a manual online.

When a man is in the woods and talks and no women are there is he still wrong??:P

David

This gives the base curb weight.

http://www.automobile-catalog.com/make/ford_usa/mustang_1gen/mustang_1gen_mach_i/1971.html

I do not see a GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) listed anywhere.

73 Grande H Code. Headman long tube headers, T-5 Transmission, 3.70 Traclok, Lowered 1" all around, Aussie 2v heads w/ 2.19 intake, 1.71 exhaust, screw in studs, full roller cam 608/612 lift 280/281 duration LSA 112, Quick Fuel 750 CFM double pumper, AirGap intake.

- Jason

082-hot-rod-power-tour-2017-1970-1970s.jpg

Anders

Search at your door sticker. It's written on it. Right side at the top of the sticker

Cheers Frank

1972 Mach 1, 351C-2V, wimbledon white, blue all vinyl luxury

born in Dearborn, grown in the district of San José, spent a lifetime in California, moved to Germany in 2010

Mustang_Mach1_wallpaper_300_150.jpg proud member of clublogozusammen.JPG.59fb4a10d15cfff9ec756235059135b8.JPG

Anders

that's mine, for example:

door_tag_GVWR.jpg

Cheers Frank

born in Dearborn, grown in the district of San José, spent a lifetime in California, moved to Germany in 2010

Mustang_Mach1_wallpaper_300_150.jpg proud member of clublogozusammen.JPG.59fb4a10d15cfff9ec756235059135b8.JPG

Adding the GVWR must have occurred for the 1972 model year. My '71 was built in April of 1971 and doesn't have it, either. There's nothing about it in the owner's manual, nor on the tire pressure chart.

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein

Anders

Sorry for misleading. :imsorry:

I have a 72 and had a 73. So I thought all 71-73 had this on the door tag.

Cheers Frank

Did some searching and it appears a GVWR was not required in 1971 for passenger cars. So chances are there is not one.

73 Grande H Code. Headman long tube headers, T-5 Transmission, 3.70 Traclok, Lowered 1" all around, Aussie 2v heads w/ 2.19 intake, 1.71 exhaust, screw in studs, full roller cam 608/612 lift 280/281 duration LSA 112, Quick Fuel 750 CFM double pumper, AirGap intake.

- Jason

082-hot-rod-power-tour-2017-1970-1970s.jpg

Anderslober, the GVWR was shown on the certification label starting 1/72. So all 71's and 72's produced up till 1/72 will not show the weight ratings. Our Government was busy protecting us from ourselves, so there were many safety, emissions, and other laws passed that took effect in the start of 1972. (Including the much hated/loved seat belt warning light/buzzer system. A lot depended on the GVWR for the type tire and emissions systems installed when the vehicle was built.

I've checked all 1971 info I have (shop manuals, AMA specs, order guides, built sheets, owner manuals, etc)   and nothing shows anything other than the curb weight.

I believe we have some members outside the US that own 429 cars. Perhaps they have already been through this process and could provide you with some insight on what kind of numbers they came up with and where these documented numbers could be found.

I know this hasn't helped much, but hopefully someone will find the info you need soon.  Good luck!

Steve

No Officer...I really don't know how fast I was going, my speedometer stopped at 140!

Hi Anderslober, my 1971 Mustang Convertible was registered both in Great Britain and Germany. The German officials required the guy who owned and imported the car from Great Britain in 1980 (when it was first registered in Germany) to have a metal plate (issued and stamped by Ford Motor Company in Cologne) riveted to the engine compartment that shows the maximum front axle weight and the maximum rear axle weight along with the VIN number and stamping "Mustang T5" on it. That was a requirement back in those days and probably still is. I will snap a picture of the metal plate later, I just have to dig it out.

71-73 Mustangs never die, they just go faster!

Okay, found the metal plate but my lap top won't let me import pictures at this time, I have to figure out why. Patience please, I think I have what you're looking for!

71-73 Mustangs never die, they just go faster!

Just asking but shouldn't the official info on the 72 door sticker be enough for your authorities given that the 71 and 72 cars are the same?

Might be worth a try.

spacer.png
Mike
"If I were you...... I´d rather be me." 😛
Check out my video:
http://www.7173mustangs.com/thread-my-mustang-in-action

Hi there Anders have you tried to contact the Mustang club of Denmark? Maybe they can help you with that? Regards Lars

Sendt fra min F8331 med Tapatalk

So I'm a proud owner of one Mach 1 73! Regards Lars DK73:whistling:

Think I've found something... in the go atm, will post in a few

73 modified Grande 351C. (Finally back on the road woohoo!) 

71 429CJ. ( In progress )

When you get no results in english, think country legislations...

France got similar. So I've searched in french kuz I'm french :)

bam!

http://www.zeperfs.com/fiche3383-ford-mustang-mach-1.htm

(there's a view in english btn)

some other links where weight info is displayed (in french) for either 71 or 71 429

http://www.mustangv8.com/fr/presentation/mustang-71-429-cobra-jet-convertible/

http://www.gamblewiz.com/XG5LJ09R4/

As you said they need something online to read. if the info isn't what they seek,

just make some some technical text/html and I'll host it on my server and make it look like a report of my own 429.

oh and having a 71 429 too, in case you would want make the door sticker.

if yours is a Ford export too, thats how it looks:

VIN_71.jpg

"poid en marche" is your gross weight

Selon DIN70020. Véhicule en ordre de marche avec le réservoir plein à 90%, sans conducteur.

Selon UE CE 92/21. On ajoute le poids d'un conducteur de 68kg et 7kg de bagage.

says:

DIN: weight of the vehicule in operating condition with tank 90% full, no driver

also called the "poid a vide" in french

The other is the same with the overage weight of a person of 68kg, 7kg luggage.

these are european units/standards...

Screen_Shot_2017_07_05_at_18_59_14.jpg

Indeed the page is for a cleveland engine. so if you provide the weight of a 429 engine (720lbs) and for a cleveland, you add the diff and you have the info you want for a 71 429.

anyway as said, if you want prep some html with the specs I'll host it for you. They won't spend days on this really.

Doesn't matter, the very smart dude got on his list he must have that value and he will bite to it till chicken grow teeth.

On mine when i've moved from France to Holland they made me slam into the left tower the vin number, while the french plate with same vin was pinned 20 cm away.

kuz its in the big book of import rules. That nobody during (tech) controls even look at this is irrelevant. Its in the f----g book.

Sad bunch of peeps really

Fabrice....thanks.....great numbers. I will use them, but the 1613kgs cant be the max weight. It must be higher. My car weighed in at 1690kgs.....empty. Official weight!

The 'best' max weight I have seen is the GWVR on a 1972 which is 4441 lbs.......2014kgs or so.

I will print out everything and give it to them.

Incredible actually..........you would think they have this type of info on file.!

I have to knock in a new VIN number too.....on the RIGHT tower. Just stupid. Rules for the sake of rules....baahhh