Tail Light

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Grande
I pulled my tail lights out. They had glue all over them. A previous owner had taken them apart. So i set about dismantling them. As i pried the lenses off i realised the previous owner had busted the corners off and glued them back on. One of the housings had also been glued so that was consigned to the bin along with all the old crusy rubber seals. The remaining housing got about 4 hours spent on it removing glue and dirt. Then the dreaded happened. The seperators that run down the housing crumbled in my hand. I knew it was fragile as there was a white chalky substance coming away as i cleaned. I checked Ebay and every single housing looked to have the same yellowing around the bowls and that horrid chalky substance on them. Has anyone else taken a tail light apart and had the same experience?

20170703_212602.jpg

20170703_212626.jpg

20170703_212645.jpg

Steve, just buy reproductions and save the hassle, it's not worth it unless you're absolutely bound and determined to have Ford numbers on the cases. On the lenses, yes absolutely, but the cases, not so much. If you want good used, there are likely several guys on the forum who have them for sale.

Geoff.

I thought this product, if available in the UK, will help you clean up your rear lights. It's a product called EZ STRIP, All Purpose Cleaner. It is not as harsh on plastics as other solvent based cleaners. You do need to be very careful with it though as the acrylic is easily damaged.

In Canada, I can buy it from Home Depot and if I'm not mistaken, there is a sister company in the UK, I can't think of the name, but it's the one with the big orange square logo. EZ Strip is water soluble. I used it on a spare set of lenses I have to do just what you're doing. I found working on a small section at a time is best. It's time consuming and messy to say the least.

As for sealing these thing up so they don't leak, I found that good clear silicone applied with a syringe or other fine tipped applicator, forcing it between the aluminium and the lens worked well for me. I also sealed the entire light housing to the body with black RTV or body sealant. I have leak free rear lights now. I can go into this more with pictures later if you wish.

Hope that helps somewhat.

Geoff.

Last edited by a moderator:
I thought this product, if available in the UK, will help you clean up your rear lights. It's a product called EZ STRIP, All Purpose Cleaner. It is not as harsh on plastics as other solvent based cleaners. You do need to be very careful with it though as the acrylic is easily damaged.

In Canada, I can buy it from Home Depot and if I'm not mistaken, there is a sister company in the UK, I can't think of the name, but it's the one with the big orange square logo. EZ Strip is water soluble. I used it on a spare set of lenses I have to do just what you're doing. I found working on a small section at a time is best. It's time consuming and messy to say the least.

As for sealing these thing up so they don't leak, I found that good clear silicone applied with a syringe or other fine tipped applicator, forcing it between the aluminium and the lens worked well for me. I also sealed the entire light housing to the body with black RTV or body sealant. I have leak free rear lights now. I can go into this more with pictures later if you wish.

Geoff.
Thanks Geoff. We Dont have EZ Strip in the UK. I think it may have to be a new complete reproduction tail light and strip it down and then add my lense to it. The chrome inserts are good for daily driver but not what i am after

I believe Daniel Carpenter makes licensed repops that I have heard are very good. One of our members on here David (Carolina Mountain Mustangs) had posted that he purchased the "seconds" and they were perfect they just came disassembled which actually makes painting the black out on for the 71-72's easier as they all come straight chrome as repops for the73's.

I believe Daniel Carpenter makes licensed repops that I have heard are very good. One of our members on here David (Carolina Mountain Mustangs) had posted that he purchased the "seconds" and they were perfect they just came disassembled which actually makes painting the black out on for the 71-72's easier as they all come straight chrome as repops for the73's.
:thankyouyellow: Seconds sounds just what i need :goodpost:

Yup, I'll take seconds.  Please pass the mashed potatoes, peas, ham, and rolls.

Yup, I'll take seconds.  Please pass the mashed potatoes, peas, ham, and rolls.
Dont forget desert seconds and thirds when it comes to desert mmm mmmmm

Geoff.
Thanks Geoff. We Dont have EZ Strip in the UK. I think it may have to be a new complete reproduction tail light and strip it down and then add my lense to it. The chrome inserts are good for daily driver but not what i am after
 No EZ strip, too bad!

As for the brightwork, one of the guys used oven cleaner to strip off the anodizing on roof rails, then lightly sanded and polished them to a high shine. I'm wondering if it's possible to cut and polish lens surrounds, but then if repops are available and are good quality, why bother.

The repop tail light body I used to replace a broken one, was exactly as the original other than the Ford numbers, no-one knows!!

Back