Squeak in Steering Column Close to Steering Wheel.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OLE PONY

Staff member
7173 Mustang Supporter Member
Reaction score
My Car
73 Mustang Conv.
01 Mustang Bullitt (my son owns now)
04 Oxford White Mach 1
04 Azure Blue Mach 1 (sold)
I haven't pulled the steering wheel yet, but am getting a squeak when turning the wheel on my 73 convertible. Sounds like rubbing against plastic or rubber. Is there a bushing in that area that needs replacing. If so, I'd like to order part before pulling steering wheel. It is a power steering car if it makes a difference (not a tilt column).

Mike,

Did you figure out what was causing your squeaking noise in your column?

What did you do to solve the problem?

Thanks ,

Max

Mike,

Thanks ,

Max
Hi Max, looks like your first post so welcome to the forum. Please post an introduction thread!

I have not fixed the squeak yet. I've been doing trans seal, u-joints, etc. Hopefully I'll get to the squeak soon.

Mike,

Thanks ,

Max
Hi Max, looks like your first post so welcome to the forum. Please post an introduction thread!

I have not fixed the squeak yet. I've been doing trans seal, u-joints, etc. Hopefully I'll get to the squeak soon.
I had to replace the upper and lower column bearings.  My column was not making noise but felt as if there were flat spots on the bearings. On inspection it looked as if one of the upper ball bearings fatigued or corroded.  The bearings were much smaller than I thought they would be so I could see them having issues after 45+ years.  Once I replaced the bearings the steering was nice and smooth.  I would replace both while you have the steering column out.  It should be noticed that I did not notice this until I rebuilt the steering box with the faster 12:1 ratio gear set. Prior to this the ballpoints and bushing were replaced.  With radial tires on the car it rides better than in the 70s.

Back