Squeak in Steering Column Close to Steering Wheel.

I haven't pulled the steering wheel yet, but am getting a squeak when turning the wheel on my 73 convertible. Sounds like rubbing against plastic or rubber. Is there a bushing in that area that needs replacing. If so, I'd like to order part before pulling steering wheel. It is a power steering car if it makes a difference (not a tilt column).

Mike AKA Ole Pony & Rare Pony
Our current Mustang garage/driveway
1973 Mustang Convert - Bought in 1974 - Still have it!
2004 Mach 1 Oxford White Auto, Bought Sept 06

20180127_082009.jpg

There's a bearing on the steering shaft at the upper end of the housing.

“If you can't explain it simply, you don't understand it well enough.”

--Albert Einstein

• 8 months later...

Mike,

Did you figure out what was causing your squeaking noise in your column?

What did you do to solve the problem?

Thanks ,

Max

Hi Max, looks like your first post so welcome to the forum. Please post an introduction thread!

I have not fixed the squeak yet. I've been doing trans seal, u-joints, etc. Hopefully I'll get to the squeak soon.

Mike AKA Ole Pony & Rare Pony
Our current Mustang garage/driveway
1973 Mustang Convert - Bought in 1974 - Still have it!
2004 Mach 1 Oxford White Auto, Bought Sept 06

20180127_082009.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Mike,

Did you figure out what was causing your squeaking noise in your column?

What did you do to solve the problem?

Thanks ,

Max

Hi Max, looks like your first post so welcome to the forum. Please post an introduction thread!

I have not fixed the squeak yet. I've been doing trans seal, u-joints, etc. Hopefully I'll get to the squeak soon.

I had to replace the upper and lower column bearings.  My column was not making noise but felt as if there were flat spots on the bearings. On inspection it looked as if one of the upper ball bearings fatigued or corroded.  The bearings were much smaller than I thought they would be so I could see them having issues after 45+ years.  Once I replaced the bearings the steering was nice and smooth.  I would replace both while you have the steering column out.  It should be noticed that I did not notice this until I rebuilt the steering box with the faster 12:1 ratio gear set. Prior to this the ballpoints and bushing were replaced.  With radial tires on the car it rides better than in the 70s.