break in

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

engine oil or assembly lube

• engine oil

Votes: 1 25.0%
  • assembly lube

Votes: 3 75.0%

• Total voters
Reaction score
My Car
1971 mach1
Just wondering what everyone else does. I have different articles on engine build. Some of the article have said engine oil is ok for the enitial breakin on the amin and rod bearings. Others have said to use assembly lube on the mains and rods. What are your thoughts? I normally use a engine oil for the mains.

Jim

I use assembly lube on the bearings. Years ago, we just used 1/2 STP oil treatment, 1/2 10w-40. I think that if the motor doesn't sit around to long before you start it and prime the system then just oil would be fine.

I still use the STP method on the rods & mains then prime the system untill oil flows to the rocker arms.

Assembly lube on bearings, Cam break in lube on cam and lifters, oil on valve train components, prime oiling system before starting, use a high quality break in oil such as Joe Gibbs racing with a high ZDDP content. Follow cam manufacturer's cam break in procedure. Continue to use an oil with a high ZDDP content after break in to prevent cam lobe failure.

Chuck

Assembly lube on bearings, Cam break in lube on cam and lifters, oil on valve train components, prime oiling system before starting, use a high quality break in oil such as Joe Gibbs racing with a high ZDDP content. Follow cam manufacturer's cam break in procedure. Continue to use an oil with a high ZDDP content after break in to prevent cam lobe failure.

Chuck

X2 We use Brad Penn break-in oil.

If the engine is going to be sitting for a while before you fire it up use assembly lube. if its going to be fired up with in a couple of hours then some 10w40 should be fine.

yup....use the lube...reason why so many cams fail..lack of zinc in break in...and a lack of nickel...think that is what happend to mine...motor was fine inside...cam was all wacked out...lack of break in lube in the early 90s when some one rebuilt her...im defenatly going to use every lube they recomend from now on.. i only had about 20 or 30,000 miles on the rebuilt motor and the cam was toast.....plus sythetic was made for jetfighters originaly...works good in alot of new cars with over head cams..and works good in high tolerance high compression motors...very bad for high mileage rigs...and bad for break ins on are flat tap cams...now i hear roller cams dont have as much issues...but flat tappet cams need the old additives in the original oil for break in.

plus..do you really want to take the chance ? break in lube is only 8 bucks or so...could save you hundreds or more.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back