Interior Side Panel question

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Boss 351 White Some Original Paint
1971 Boss 351 Pewter
1971 Boss 351 Bright Silver Blue
1971 Boss 351 Grabber Lime Original Paint on the roof
1972 Fastback Mach 1 Q Code 4 speed 1 of 1
1967 Cougar DGS 1 of 1
[url=https://ibb.co/i3cZWa][img]https://preview.ibb.co/f59RcF/shop.jpg[/img][/url]
Hey guys, Im working on refurbing the interior of the 72Q and have a question. The cut out for the foldown seat latch is bent. When we got the car the panel was not attached and it was off alignment for who knows how long and reformed the plastic a bit. I will put the pics on to show you. The question is has anyone had any luck with heating the plastic to restore it to its original position?

I've restored original shape a few times using heatgun (hot air blower). Even a 73 grill. I've cut 2 aluminum plates bigger than the to be restored surface. Drill 1 or 2 holes in them depending of the destorted surface. Have a stud ready with 2 bolts. So you can sandwitch the surface with no pressure. Then apply to both plates some wax so it doesn't stick. I've used polyesther wax as it supports heat well. Then, set temp on blower to lowest setting, start heat the plates, not the plastic, and when plate is hot, tighten bolt a bit. Do not apply too much pressure and heat. If the plastic melts, its too late. Then, its a matter of heating tightening with each time some cooling off periodes, and eventually the two plates will have only the plastic thickness between them.

I'd try on spare part of same plastic sort first, also make sure the heatgun cannot get too hot too quickly.

Do not rush it. Its really a progressive thingy.

I believe all the interior plastic is ABS and yes you can shape it back to original like stated with a heat gun. I do consoles a lot they get warped all out of shape from heat inside the car. I wear gloves and have some blocks of wood that I heat the plastic then take the blocks of wood and apply hand pressure sandwich the plastic and squeeze and hold a little. Just keep working it. I would not put wax on the material due to the fact you are going to paint or dye in the end. That is just another possible cause of bad adhesion or fish eyes in your finish. If you have areas missing you can also fill in. Do a search several have posted on that subject.

Post up some pictures as you go.

David's right, do not wax the plastic. The polyesther wax is for the plates, it will not transfer once dry. Tho in case of, thinner would remove it in a swipe.

More important fix the cause of the distort. Unless you live in very sunny climate and your car

is exposed for long periodes, most of the time damages are caused by torned brackets,

or faulty installs of the plastic item itself.

OK Guys, thanks for the advice. I wanted to make sure that the plastic wasn't going to react to heat in a weird way and I didn't have any junk panels lying around to test.

So I got the heat gun out and slowly applies from the backside. My panels arent in the greatest shape and have had tons of sun which has made the grain on the outside brittle and almost chalky in some areas. So with low heat, patience and a pair of leather gloves formed it back with my hands. Took a while but that was ok instead of going fast and losing the plastic. It is not perfect but a ton better. I doubt anyone will notice. I will post pics today and then I will post after the paint!

Thanks everyone!

You are aware that the panel you are working on was not the panel for a fold down seat car aren't you?
No. Like I said the panels werent connected when I got the car. Seat latch matches up. I am confused.

Back