The dreaded thermostat and cooling issue post

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wyostang

Reaction score
My Car
1972 notchback 351c 2v
Hey everybody,

I haven't posted in a while and now of course I have questions again/slash need help so here I am! I promise to post some pics again soon! I have been working on the Mustang steadily for the last 3.5 years or so and it is looking good. It is a 72 hard top running a a 351C H code 2v with the decor group package. I love it. Lots of body work and restoration, new windshield new adjustable racing mirror to fix the busted old one . Rebuilt transmission, new power steering gear box and idler arm, a lot of fun with that let me tell you! Recently one of my coolant hoses sprang a leak so I decided to replace it and a few of the other hoses as well. In what might have been an overly ambitious move I decided to replace the thermostat as well :-/ I thought I ordered the correct one I will post a link here http://www.rockauto.com/en/moreinfo.php?pk=4484622&cc=1132861&jsn=13

I don't know if I have the original by-pass flange equipment in the car and didn't know about it at the time but the thermostat I replaced looked like the one I popped in. It is worth telling y'all I never had an issue before but now I am. The problem, the overflow tank is constantly running dry and I am leaking some, not a lot but some, coolant out of the area where the upper radiator hose connects to the thermostat housing/block. Of course I put a gasket on it and attached everything snug. What could the problem be? Wrong stat? On my light cluster, which seems to work as it shows the oil light when I am starting the car, I don't get a temp light or anything so I don't think I am over heating but I am super paranoid about it and don't want to damage the Cleveland. Thoughts? 

lightshot

Last edited by a moderator:
with the new stat did u place it into the stat housing just to make sure it fit the diameter. if so then i'd be looking at the stat dropped just enough to not allow the gasket at the bottom to contact and u got a drip now. a suggestion too, is to drill a 1/8" hole at the 12 o'clock  position of the stat to allow air escape when filling.

Are you sure you put the thermostat in right side up? It is easy to install it upside down which usually causes over heating issues, but I'd double check it. If you have not seen your temp light come on in a long time. It should light when you turn the ignition key just before you start it (past the ON position where the oil & alt lights light), I would ground it at the sender end and make sure the bulb is working.

The link to the thermostat you bought is not correct no hat on the plunger to block off the bypass when open. I would take back apart and make sure the ring is in the block and it is easy to get the thermostat cocked a little and get under the housing when you bolt it down. What temp thermostat did you get. Hotter the better a cold one opens too much and the water circulates too fast and does not have time to cool in the radiator.

Very nice, and beats the eBay price by $40, and you can get it and the correct thermostat for less than just the eBay restrictor plate. Thanks for that.

They advertised the Windsor stat that I used as Cleveland specific.....arrrrgh. Would that likely have been the cause of the problem? Spilling out of the connection there? Ok so if i pop this one in that should correct the issue I hope. I believe, although I don't remember, that the restrictor plate was there. If not thanks to the link above I have a source besides the ebay rip-off Pantera guy. Cool. Onward and upward. Hope the engine is ok with a few weeks of "hot cruising" on it. I did keep adding coolant.

Back