Honeycomb grille between windshield and hood

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Grande
This has probably already been discussed;

I can't remember where i seen them for sale. I did see the repro honeycomb grilles for sale that fit between windshield and hood. Has anyone seen them for sale and has anyone bought a pair?

I remember when i first joined the forum nobody was reproducung them but i know they are now. Half my problem is remembering American terminology for parts. If i could remember the correct name maybe i could find them again :shootself:  :)

I didn't know they reproduced them! It must be a really new product. I have bought a used set a couple of weeks ago since mine are deep fried by the sun...
Yeah the Arizona climate wasnt kind to mine either.

Its amazing how many new products have become available over the past 12 months. Still no 4R deluxe green interior though :mad:

Persistence Pays. Here they are from CJ Pony.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/132237169785?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&fromMakeTrack=true

Has anyone bought these? If so are they any good??
Wow. Spendy. I bought an NOS set earlier this year for $35

What is actually the function of these? I mean, why so much air can go thru?

Its on my todo to replace them by a metal version, but still not sure if I need make loads of holes.

wow, $54 for these?? That's really expensive for what you get.

Last edited by a moderator:
This has probably already been discussed;

I can't remember where i seen them for sale. I did see the repro honeycomb grilles for sale that fit between windshield and hood. Has anyone seen them for sale and has anyone bought a pair?

I remember when i first joined the forum nobody was reproducung them but i know they are now. Half my problem is remembering American terminology for parts. If i could remember the correct name maybe i could find them again :shootself:  :)
I have a spare original set PM me if you are interested.

What is actually the function of these? I mean, why so much air can go thru?
I'm pretty sure the idea was to keep leaves and other debris from dropping into the cowl and clogging everything up.

Since leaves and crud act as sponges, they will hold moisture to accelerate the rust process in those areas.

@Bill73Ragtop

The idea is obvious (from out-in), very overkill as the two grilles are way under the hood.

You could even say its against this very idea as they are so big and the honeycomb raster quite large

that they're in fact allowing all kinds of debris to enter the cowl much more easily than they should.

Thats why I was wondering if there was a reason behind this air flow/volume from the inside...

Yesterday I've answered my own question, as I have my side panel off to install my new Sniper fuel lines,

I saw there are two openings on both ends of the cowl. Basically, even if totally closed,

more than enough fresh air can still be sucked into the cabin by the ventilator.

Which is good news for me: less drillings for the raster :)

Last edited by a moderator:
The cowl vent openings needed to be large enough to install or remove the long wiper linkage mechanism since the linkage comes pre-assembled with the wiper arm posts and motor connection it is rather bulky.

@rakerm ah! That makes sense.

@eddyw

yeah thought about doing similar except I'd make the shape that goes on the lip of the cowl from aluminum and add a raster like yours underneath

or make them entirely from a plate. Dunno yet. Will do some sketches..

Only thing i'm sure of is I''m not going to keep the originals or set repros.

thx for your inputs guys

The cowl vent openings needed to be large enough to install or remove the long wiper linkage mechanism since the linkage comes pre-assembled with the wiper arm posts and motor connection it is rather bulky.
Mine was removed and sent off to the bead blaster. Sprayed with the grey heat resistant paint as used on headers. Now recently re-installed. Job was pretty easy with the size of the cowl vent openings and the job went without a scratch to wiper linkage.

Persistence Pays. Here they are from CJ Pony.  http://www.ebay.com/itm/132237169785?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&fromMakeTrack=true

Has anyone bought these? If so are they any good??
Wow. Spendy. I bought an NOS set earlier this year for $35
The $54.99 is less than the $61.25 shipping charge plus $5.82 import plus $23.26 tax. Making a grand total of $145.32. Thats nearly triple the original price

Back