Which Distributor for 302W?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
71 Mustang Mach 1
302-2v
C4

Im looking to upgrade the ignition system to a non points distributor.  Short of going for the MSD Billet Distributor, what are the options most use? 

Mine is a 302W.  I intend to upgrade to a MSD 6AL-2 ignition box when I do the distributor as well.

Why does everybody think they want  MSD?? Beats me. Big ugly box and a "RED" cap............. in a Ford!!

The Duraspark is a great option and still looks stock. I would go Duraspark in a heartbeat if I didn't have the PerTronix Ignitor II and Flamethrower II coil already in my car. From MY experience though, I would not go to the Pertronix Ignitor III. Great electronics, lousy construction for the Ford dizzy, unless they have redesigned it in resent months.

Why does everybody think they want  MSD?? Beats me. Big ugly box and a "RED" cap............. in a Ford!!

The Duraspark is a great option and still looks stock. I would go Duraspark in a heartbeat if I didn't have the PerTronix Ignitor II and Flamethrower II coil already in my car. From MY experience though, I would not go to the Pertronix Ignitor III. Great electronics, lousy construction for the Ford dizzy, unless they have redesigned it in resent months.
Not only that, it's my understanding that MSD boxes are based on Duraspark.

A recurved Duraspark distributor would work great for your setup. It can be used with a duraspark or MSD ignition box. I love my ugly red MSD box and the way my engine runs with it. MSD distributor caps are available in black if you don't like the red cap.

Last edited by a moderator:
I love my ugly red MSD box and the way my engine runs with it. MSD distributor caps are available in black if you don't like the red cap.
 Mike, we've had that  discussion before!! Your car, your way my friend. A black cap would a more acceptable option though fro sure.

Geoff.

After reading thru this article, Im thinking about going this route....

http://www.fordmuscle.com/archives/2006/12/DuraSpark/

Performance Distributors Duraspark distributor and a Duraspark 2 box.  Worth a shot.  And its blue!
 If I'm not mistaken, good Duraspark distributors are available from other suppliers as well, but as long as they are not Chinese knock-offs.

The benefit of Performance Distributors is they can curve it for your  specific engine, just cost a bit more. I did look into buying one of these, but as I already had the Pertronix III in my car, I decided to stay with it and that's a whole other story!!.

I love my ugly red MSD box and the way my engine runs with it. MSD distributor caps are available in black if you don't like the red cap.
 Mike, we've had that  discussion before!! Your car, your way my friend. A black cap would a more acceptable option though fro sure.

Geoff.

Fro sure ;)

My main reason for using them is the full bearing they install and the custom curve. Worth it to me. I just don't want that mechanical advance on the msd. And msd isn't quite as good as they once were.

Last edited by a moderator:

Geoff.

Fro sure ;)
 Ok typo!! FOR SURE!! :D

My main reason for using them is the full bearing they install and the custom  curve. Worth it to me. I just don't want that mechanical advance on the msd. And msd isn't quite as good as they once were.
 From what I looked at with Performance, I would agree.

Another option is a DUI unit from Performance Distributors. They set up and curve the distributor to match your engine and performance goals. You will need very detailed cam info etc. Not cheap but very good.

Back