Anyone Paint Their Rear Bumper

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1973machi

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach I
Has anyone painted their rear bumper on their Mach I body color?  The front one is already body color and I am debating about painting the rear one on mine too.  I would weld studs on the back and smooth the outside so there are no bumper bolts visible.  Show me some pictures if you have done this.

I have not done it, but I have seen it done a few times and it usually looks really good. I'm not a painter but I would think that painting over chrome would be challenging. Perhaps a more durable solution might be powdercoat?

Austin Vert is the site's true paint guru-me, I never graduated from fingerpainting ;)

I did black chrome on a rear bumper one time. I thought it looked fantastic with a blacked out taillight panel, right up until the moment some a-hole rear ended me doing 60.

Steve

Has anyone painted their rear bumper on their Mach I body color?  The front one is already body color and I am debating about painting the rear one on mine too.  I would weld studs on the back and smooth the outside so there are no bumper bolts visible.  Show me some pictures if you have done this.
Mine is painted body color.  I didn't smooth it out like you mentioned but that's a great idea so I'll likely do that someday.  :cool:

My neighbor did.  Turned out kinda nice... 

6157165767_88c856b107.jpg

I had an old bumper laying around, so I went ahead and painted it.  Here is what it looks like on the car.  I also have a billet honeycomb panel that I accented with blue.

If you have a chrome shop near you they can put in the tank and strip it

Or you can sand it,use metal prep. to etch it. Then etch or epoxy primer. I have also used axalta (dupont) 222s adhesion promotor on brushed stainless and polished aluminum with good results, it will stick to glass also

Back