Name That Part!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Three Ponies

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Convertible Restomod (5.0 HO motor, 24LB injectors, 75MM throttle body, E cam, Tremec TKO 5 speed, 4WDB and other fun stuff)
2000 GT Convertible (Roush conversion)
2004 Thoroughbred (the kind that poops)
1962 Thunderbird
1954 Mercury Monterey Sun Valley
My basket case 73 Convertible adventure continues. 

Since I didn't take the car apart, I have to rely on catalogs, manuals and photos, but not everything is in there. Soooooo......why not ask the forum crowd. 

What is this and where does it go?

Mystery_part.jpg

Be nice.

Mystery part.JPG

I believe that goes behind the door panel at the top of the inner door. I think its function is to keep the glass from rattling in the door, not sure of the name though :p

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe that goes behind the door panel at the top of the inner door. I think its function is to keep the glass from rattling in the door, not sure of the name though :p
I thought the same, but I tried every combo and don't see how it fits. There is weatherstrip on the outside door skin and the door panel to reduce some of that, plus there are pads behind the inner door skin to guide the glass. I can't see any holes that are drilled to fit this thing.

Quarter glass weatherstrip possibly.
Not sure of the official name, but that is the beltline window felt that goes on the door.  It snaps into holes across the top edge of the door skin with the majority of the piece being inside the door.  Mikes73 was correct as it is a "rub rail"/antirattle assist for the door glass.

I ThinK----The pieces you have were used in earlier cars(Early 71's) before they moved to a thinner style like you can get from reproduction houses.

If you are not wanting those, I will take them off your hands!

kcmash

It is the door beltline weather strip. It's is an original part, later service parts and current repros come in two thinner pieces, instead of a single wider belt. There should be little metal tabs along the edge of it that clip into the top edge of the inside edge of the outer door skin.

It is the door beltline weather strip. It's is an original part, later service parts and current repros come in two thinner pieces, instead of a single wider belt. There should be little metal tabs along the edge of it that clip into the top edge of the inside edge of the outer door skin.
You are correct! The replacement weatherstrip is a much thinner, standard looking strip. After taking a closer look, the tabs are all sheared off of this one. Plus, there was only one of these and a thinner strip in the parts pile, thus throwing me off. Once I lined up the marks where the tabs were, it made sense.

Back