Hub Caps

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Grande
So heres what im thinking. Take a hub cap and drill a hole through the middle and add a clock mechanism.

Put the usual numbers around 1-12 in black and where the 51st minute paint it red and 02 minute in red. The red numbers representing a 351 and 302.

Where the 15 black accents are around the edge i could add transfers/stickers of all models, engine sizes, production plants. A Mustang & Mach 1 Mustang could be placed at 12 oclock and 6 oclock or 3 oclock and 9 oclock.

The hub cap would have its own unique dent here and there but it would be polished up with the black accents freshly painted. There may be a option to have your choice of colour of moving hands and a option for a sticker of your colour and year car with your license plate number to make the clock truly individual to you. There would also be the option of the mach 1 hubcap or the GT hubcap or the Ford Motor Company or any make of classic American muscle car

So If you saw the clocks for sale on ebay would you purchase one? How much would you pay for one?

I would greatly appreciate everyones feedback on this business venture

Hub Caps.PNG

Any Hub Cap donations from members on the site would be used to create a individual clock for that member at a reduced price or free if more than one hub cap donated. I would also happily pay for any hub caps suitable

If it where me, I would do the numbers on the backside of the lens cover.Not on the hubcap itself. Maybe some L.E.D. lighting too.
Thanks for the imput.

Having already pulled a tail ;ight apart i know the backside of the lens is ribbed so theres a difficulty sticking numbers down. I do like the idea of LED lights and the lens combined but maybe used differantly. The backing of a tail light would work with a clock in the central of the three sections and and LED in the outside 2 sections. Though i was already thinking of inserting the backing of a tail light on to a desk lamp http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Traditional-Vintage-Bankers-Touch-Dimmer-Table-Desk-Lamp-Antique-Brass-Chrome-/381686445402?var=650748665461&hash=item58de48f55a:g:2jwAAOSwhOVXc706

Why not do something really clever, like whenever the clock reads "351", red, white, and blue LED lights flash on and off for one minute!

I worked for the only mfg. of beer kegs in the U.S. back in 80's and 90's then we sold out. We use to cut the end off of reject kegs and make clocks out of them and give to customers.

BTW I got a set of those hub caps off eBay last year NOS for $25.00 nobody bid and shipping was more than the caps.

I worked for the only mfg. of beer kegs in the U.S. back in 80's and 90's then we sold out. We use to cut the end off of reject kegs and make clocks out of them and give to customers.

BTW I got a set of those hub caps off eBay last year NOS for $25.00 nobody bid and shipping was more than the caps.
$25!!! I better start looking harder. Or you could sell me the set you bought :D

Yeah I am not a fan of any of the hubcap clocks. To me - they just look cheap/cheesey. I'd rather have a Ford dealer type clock or known supplier (like Hurst, Good year, etc) or a repro of same if it looks close to period-correct. I would probably pay $15-25 for a hubcap clock on ebay if I really decided to get one. Or go to Walmart - get a little batt powered clock and drill the hole in one of my extra wheel covers...

Sorry just not for me. But good luck.

Ray

If it where me, I would do the numbers on the backside of the lens cover.Not on the hubcap itself. Maybe some L.E.D. lighting too.
Thanks for the imput.

Having already pulled a tail ;ight apart i know the backside of the lens is ribbed so theres a difficulty sticking numbers down. I do like the idea of LED lights and the lens combined but maybe used differantly. The backing of a tail light would work with a clock in the central of the three sections and and LED in the outside 2 sections. Though i was already  thinking of inserting the backing of a tail light on to a desk lamp http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Traditional-Vintage-Bankers-Touch-Dimmer-Table-Desk-Lamp-Antique-Brass-Chrome-/381686445402?var=650748665461&hash=item58de48f55a:g:2jwAAOSwhOVXc706
I meant a clear piece of plexi or glass.

Back