Timing Chain help

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Brock24

Reaction score
My Car
1972 Mustang 351c 4v mach fastback
I have a 1972 mustang 351c 4v mach 1.  Was running pretty good but wanted to make it run better and noticed the timing chain was really loose so I got cylinder 1 to top dead center on the compression stroke and swaped out the timing chain. Now i cant get it to run at all  :mad:. So i assumed i did something wronge to i bought another chain and put it on and still nothing wtf very frustrating :huh:.  So havent worked on it for about 4 months now im going to try again.  Im thinking about putting the old sloppy chain back on just to see if it runs again. Very confused and frustated   :chin:.  I have worked on alot of trucks on our ranch but have never messed with the timing chain thought it would be easy ::thumb:: lol . I probably sound stupid lo.   Any help or ideas would be very appriated. Thank you, Brock

What is it doing? Does it try to start?, got Fuel? I'm right in the middle of doing mine, will have it open Tuesday

What is it doing? Does it try to start?, got Fuel? I'm right in the middle of doing mine, will have it open Tuesday
It has fuel. Just back fires out the exaust. Somethings not right and i cant figure it out  :-/

I don't know if it's right or wrong but I like to pull the valve cover off and verify both valves are closed (rocker arms down) when looking for TDC to make sure it is on the compression stroke, then line up the camshaft up dot to dot with the crank at 12 o clock and the cam at 6 o clock. I have had no problems by doing it this way.

Yep, maybe your on the wrong stroke?
I thought about that but i stuck my finger on there until it blew it off, wouldnt that be the right stroke or no?

I don't know if it's right or wrong but I like to pull the valve cover off and verify both valves are closed (rocker arms down) when looking for TDC to make sure it is on the compression stroke, then line up the camshaft up dot to dot with the crank at 12 o clock and the cam at 6 o clock. I have had no problems by doing it this way.
Ok thanks Mike i will definitly try that

I agree with this method. I also make sure the rotor is pointed at #1 terminal.

Back