U,K Judging standards.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1971 Mustang Grande
I photocopied a judging sheet from Mustang Owners Club Great Britain. Hope its clear enough for everyone.

The standards are not as dtringent as the U.S juding standards by a long way

img001.jpg

From what I see its not even considering if the parts are correct for the car/year other than by adding bonus points, this same sheet could be used for any car even if modified.

Also, how many 71-73 enter the contest on average?

From what I saw of your project, you're gonna need space in your garage to store cups :)

side note: while doing some cleanup this weekend, I found back picts of a green Grande with white vinyl top. Will post these soon for you.

Last edited by a moderator:
My MCA National trailer concourse judge sheet is 11 pages. here is one of those pages for example...

I started with a total of 600 points and they deducted points from there. I had a total of 30 points deducted.

anonymous image host

Last edited by a moderator:
When I was stationed there, I found that depending on where the show was being taken place, the judges opinion of how a item was scored was based on the locality of the entrant. Hopefully the scene has matured since I was there 16 years ago.

Many of the cars have incorrect parts because of the non availability and expense of importing proper spares. They just use what they can find to keep the cars on the road. Hence the extra leeway allowed in the MOCGB judging criteria.

Do they give you the judging form at the venue on request, or do they still only allow the judging form be mailed to you 3-4 weeks after the event?

The British sheet appear somewhat similar to the MCA Regional Show Judging sheets on which vehicles are judged only on Cleanliness, Workmanship and Overall Condition. Factory correct parts are not judged in a Regional show format (i.e. no deductions for incorrect parts or finish as the car may have left the factory). Regional Judging sheets are also broken down into similar categories as the British sheet. Of course, most Regional shows do not have certified or gold card judges inspecting the car as in a National MCA show.

When you think about it, it's not a bad approach to be introduced to the car show judging procedure since cleanliness and workmanship are huge factor in any show. It certainly is better than 'Participant Judging' where very often the winner is based on how many buddies they have at the show.

I have never attended one of their shows before so i cannot comment on how judging takes place. I will be attending my first one in August and hopefully be showing my car next year if it is finished.

I have a somewhat skewed opinion of trophys and car shows. If a person is entering a concours show, where originality and perfection of a mark is what is on display, well it's nice to be recognized for all of the hard work that is required to attain such. However....I have attended many car shows where owners will show up, display, and when the judging is over, if they haven't been notified of being considered, they pack up and leave early, their whole point was to win a trophy. This is ruining the hobby.

My feeling is that at these generally informal style car shows, participation and a common interest in machines should be the glue that binds us, not awards.

Having restored hot boats, I've attended lots of shows with my rigs where a painter will stack the deck for "best paint" by having 4 or 5 of his top paint jobs trailered there, or I've seen people drive all the way from the Midwest to California to compete for trophys. With enough money, anyone can walk away with a trophy for something, but money people scare away lesser participants from showing....it shouldn't, but it does.

These days, I still enjoy entering various car or boat shows, but I write in bold letters "NOT IN COMPETITION" on the entry forms. Although years back, I've won gold and silver ( first and second place), best trailered, best engine, and people's choice for my work on other people's vehicles , I personally enjoy just showing off my stuff and getting to know some of the people. I never go home disappointed.

I have a somewhat skewed opinion of trophys and car shows. If a person is entering a concours show, where originality and perfection of a mark is what is on display, well it's nice to be recognized for all of the hard work that is required to attain such. However....I have attended many car shows where owners will show up, display, and when the judging is over, if they haven't been notified of being considered, they pack up and leave early, their whole point was to win a trophy. This is ruining the hobby.

My feeling is that at these generally informal style car shows, participation and a common interest in machines should be the glue that binds us, not awards.

Having restored hot boats, I've attended lots of shows with my rigs where a painter will stack the deck for "best paint" by having 4 or 5 of his top paint jobs trailered there, or I've seen people drive all the way from the Midwest to California to compete for trophys. With enough money, anyone can walk away with a trophy for something, but money people scare away lesser participants from showing....it shouldn't, but it does.

These days, I still enjoy entering various car or boat shows, but I write in bold letters "NOT IN COMPETITION" on the entry forms. Although years back, I've won gold and silver ( first and second place), best trailered, best engine, and people's choice for my work on other people's vehicles , I personally enjoy just showing off my stuff and getting to know some of the people. I never go home disappointed.
I would have to agree with many of your points Spike. Showing the car, for me, is about firstly the fun, secondly i may win a trophy and add value to my car and thirdly and most importantly its the networking and contacts you gain. Networking is invaluable here in the UK as it can make the difficult process of a restoration run more smoothly

Back