Only in SoCal

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mustangfeverrr

Reaction score
My Car
'71 351C coupe
I've been driving my car in to the office the last couple of days (enjoying the new tires and wheels, etc.!), and this morning was especially fun - on the main boulevard through my little town, I passed a beautifully restored and hot-rodded midnight blue '69 or '70 Chevelle, then pulled on to the freeway right behind a '69 Camaro, then as I got off the freeway, a Springtime Yellow '66 Mustang coupe was coming the other way, getting on the freeway! And all this was within a 6.5 mile commute!

::thumb::     Ah, Fridays in Southern California!

I have homes one in the Texas Hill Country and other in far north Idaho (from where I type), both small towns and I see a load of "proper" cars at both locations. There is a guy up here that runs around in a 427 T-Bolt. Another just down the road has two Mopars, a 440 GTX and a 340 AA/R Cuda plus a '69 427/435 Corvette. They sit in his barn.

I have never much liked the coups, but damn yours looks fantastic. Something about the black top and white really look fantastic.

Nice! Usually when I go out in my coupe, I always get some redneck trying to race me in his beat up Silverado:rolleyes:

I grew up ( a matter of opinion ) in Southern California. Graduated High School in '73, so older cars were just what a kid could afford, and that's just what we all had. In '73, I drove a Ford Model A coupe and a '34 Ford coupe. My close friends had a '57 Chevy gasser style with dual carbs sticking through the hood, another had a '65 Mustang fastback with a Thunderbolt style hood and carbs sticking out, another had a Road Runner with rims, engine goodies, etc, yet another had a 396 El Camino,one guy had a '68or '69 Firebird all flared out and custom painted like a Continental Airlines jet. There were 'Vettes, GTOs, GTXs, AMXs, Boss Mustangs, Z-28s.....all within reach of a high school kid with a minimum wage job.

So...where are they all NOW? Did everyone put those old cars in storage? Did everyone sell them to someone overseas? Are they all trailer queens now?

My guess is that the younger generation doesn't give a hoot for old cars, and they can't afford them, or the gas. How in the heck do those kids today afford all those expensive to buy and insure racy imports cars? Mommy? Daddy? I drive my old car daily, but most older car guys are only taking their cars to the do-nut shop cruise on weekends. I'll be the first to admit that my wife's Honda Accord does many things better than my Mach 1, efficiently and quietly....but people don't look at her "same as everybody has" white Accord, like they look at my car.

But....there was a time....when my car was just another muscle car, in a sea of some really cool cars driven everywhere, everyday ,.....and I sure do miss those days.

Last edited by a moderator:
I grew up in the Bay Area and married a SoCal girl I met in college (SLO) and, thankfully, left the state in 1996. I now live in two places, the Texas Hill Country and far north Idaho (from where I type) and see loads of classic cars almost daily. In fact, I have three solid "classic" car shops within ten miles of my home on Texas.

I grew up ( a matter of opinion ) in Southern California. Graduated High School in '73, so older cars were just what a kid could afford, and that's just what we all had. In '73, I drove a Ford Model A coupe and a '34 Ford coupe. My close friends had a '57 Chevy gasser style with dual carbs sticking through the hood, another had a '65 Mustang fastback with a Thunderbolt style hood and carbs sticking out, another had a Road Runner with rims, engine goodies, etc, yet another had a 396 El Camino,one guy had a '68or '69 Firebird all flared out and custom painted like a Continental Airlines jet. There were 'Vettes, GTOs, GTXs, AMXs, Boss Mustangs, Z-28s.....all within reach of a high school kid with a minimum wage job.

So...where are they all NOW? Did everyone put those old cars in storage? Did everyone sell them to someone overseas? Are they all trailer queens now?

My guess is that the younger generation doesn't give a hoot for old cars, and they can't afford them, or the gas. How in the heck do those kids today afford all those expensive to buy and insure racy imports cars? Mommy? Daddy? I drive my old car daily, but most  older car guys are only taking their cars to the do-nut shop cruise on weekends. I'll be the first to admit that my wife's Honda Accord does many things better than my Mach 1, efficiently and quietly....but people don't look at her "same as everybody has" white Accord, like they look at my car.

But....there was a time....when my car was just another muscle car, in a sea of some really cool cars driven everywhere, everyday ,.....and I sure do miss those days.
Amen.  I can remember when it was not uncommon to see a real Shelby GT500 just driving down the road.  The most common high school hot rod in the 70's up here was the 69 Charger.  My best friends had a 69 Challenger, a 68 Firebird, and me with my 73 Mustang.  Yeah, I miss those days too.

I grew up in the Bay Area and married a SoCal girl I met in college (SLO) and, thankfully, left the state in 1996. I now live in two places, the Texas Hill Country and far north Idaho (from where I type) and see loads of classic cars almost daily. In fact, I have three solid "classic" car shops within ten miles of my home on Texas.
Son! It sounds like you're livin' in Conservative Country, maybe Cor DeLane ( spelled wrong, I know ). That's OK, I vote American Conservative myself. I do Racing and Restoration engine assembly work myself, so I get to see a handfull of older vehicles, but if I weren't in the business I'd probably not see as much of it as I do. Out here in SoCal, we have mild enough weather to drive these classic cars year 'round. Most owners just "Sunday drive" them and that's sad. It's kind of a "tonic' really, to me. Driving your old car can relax you and let you forget about today's troubles, and they're a lot more fun to drive than a SUV or import shitbox. Hell, if I still had my old '30 Model A coupe, I'd probably drive THAT everyday over a new car

My guess is that the younger generation doesn't give a hoot for old cars, and they can't afford them, or the gas. How in the heck do those kids today afford all those expensive to buy and insure racy imports cars? Mommy? Daddy? I drive my old car daily, but most  older car guys are only taking their cars to the do-nut shop cruise on weekends. I'll be the first to admit that my wife's Honda Accord does many things better than my Mach 1, efficiently and quietly....but people don't look at her "same as everybody has" white Accord, like they look at my car.

Amen.  I can remember when it was not uncommon to see a real Shelby GT500 just driving down the road.  The most common high school hot rod in the 70's up here was the 69 Charger.  My best friends had a 69 Challenger, a 68 Firebird, and me with my 73 Mustang.  Yeah, I miss those days too.
   Speaking of which......here's one my Body Shop man painted for a friend of his...pretty nice.

Wow, just got back from a nice long vacation to find all these great compliments!

Thanks for the nice words, guys - I'm really glad I included that picture now!

Here's the other end, if anyone's interested. :D

Last edited by a moderator:
Back