Front bumper fitment photos

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul113

Reaction score
My Car
1968 Fastback
1871 Mach 1 M code 4 speed
Can anyone post a few photos of what a properly fitted bumper looks like at the fender extensions, particularly how much overhang it has? Thanks. This is a 1971 with urethane bumper. Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
It would help to specify the year as well as if you are working with a chrome bumper or urethane.
Sorry. It's a 71 Mach with urethane.

Hope these help. My original bumper had a twist threw out which made the gaps terribly off. The bumper from my parts car worked out well. No B/S it took me 5-6 hours to get it to line up.

IMG_1446.JPG

IMG_1447.JPG

IMG_1449.JPG

Hope these help. My original bumper had a twist threw out which made the gaps terribly off. The bumper from my parts car worked out well. No B/S it took me 5-6 hours to get it to line up.
Mike, Thanks so much. Mine seems to hang over at least 1/2" on each side and I can't figure it out.

Would need to see a pic. sounds like it is like spread out too wide. You can put in sun and force into new position and let set to make it move. You do not want the rubber bumper to be right against the fender. It will eat the paint off. You want a gap I would say 3/16" to 1/4" gap would be right. This is a car built way back then. I bet you will never see a car built today restored. It will be impossible to afford the cost. If not just kept perfect no way can you restore.

If the bumper is too wide it could be the car that's too narrow.

Are you sure it's never been hit in the front?

I could not make my front spoiler fit correctly as it was too wide. Turned out the car had had a collision and the front end was 3/4 inch narrower than it was supposed to. During the desto it was pulled back into shape.

The urethane bumpers should fit very well, the chrome ones are always too wide.

You may need to pull the fenders out. Maybe even file the holes on the fenders to get their. The fender extinctions can be part of problem. The can be bent in slightly that's why my right fender has a black end cap from my parts car.  The original was off by 1/8 inch.

IMG_1446.JPG

Over the years my experience has been that the urethane starts to deform a bit at the ends of the bumper. It is cast around an inner steel core and if your car was in an area prone to rust that inner core can begin to rust and expand. The rust starts to deform the urethane and can cause it to flare out at the ends. My original bumper was like that and my body guy who was very familiar with these urethane bumpers worked on bending it back the best he could, but it was never really right to me. I ended up locating a very very nice bumper which I now have on the car and it fits great. I would agree with David that you do need to leave a bit of a gap between the bumper and fender. It will chew your paint all up if you don't. I also try and fit the grill with the bumper as well. The reveal on the bottom of the grill can also be very telling.

Back