Decision

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1hotboss

Reaction score
My Car
1970 Boss 302
I have had my Boss 351 since 2012 and at the time of purchase it was completely stock, using the Autolite carb, stock water pump, stock distributor stock fuel pump....over the years I have had to removes the autolite carb as the car ran like crap with it...the carb probably need a rebuild but i was to afraid to ship off an expense piece to anyone to do so, so I added a Holley making the necessary changes to the intake, once the holley was on, for some reason the fuel pump could not deliver enough fuel to satisfy its thirst so i removed the fuel pump and added a McRobbie one, and just recently i had to change the distributor out and replaced it with an after market piece and the car drives so much better now...the car was a matching numbers car, block and everything else, I have always wanted to make it a more performance car, adding headers and a more aggressive cam and exhaust but never have because the car was totally stock and have kinda of been forced to make  some non stock changes should i move forward with the rest of the changes, thoughts?

You got to do whatever makes you happy and puts a smile on your face. Though i would keep all the original parts. It would be just as easy to re-install them as it has been to remove them.

As Steve indicated the items you have swapped thus far are easy enough to restore and re-install. Headers and a cam are starting to get a little farther into the realm of is it really an easy swap back to stock. I am an originality guy so I am biased. Are you sure the changes you have made thus far are properly tuned? Just my 2 cents. The 71 Boss's are starting to catch some strong interest in the collector community.

As Steve indicated the items you have swapped thus far are easy enough to restore and re-install.  Headers and a cam are starting to get a little farther into the realm of is it really an easy swap back to stock.  I am an originality guy so I am biased.  Are you sure the changes you have made thus far are properly tuned?  Just my 2 cents.  The 71 Boss's are starting to catch some strong interest in the collector community.
Thanks for your input, to be honest since the distributor change the car is so much responsive and more what I always expected a basically stock Boss 351 to run...I have a 69 CJ car, and a Boss 302 both stroked out and modified with headers, exhaust and increase cam..so can't compare with my other cars, as well as my 68 CJ car, it is mostly stock but after the changes made to the Boss 351 with the distributor I think it runs pretty close to my stock 68 CJ but still give the edge to the CJ not sure if its is the torque factor on the CJ or the seat of the pants feel the CJ is still a stronger runner

Have fun with it and modify it but keep the original parts. If you decide to sell you can bolt them back on and get a premium price for it all. They won't go bad sitting in storage (except the carb and the distributor vacuum advance) but these would go bad either way.

Before doing a cam and header change I'd make sure ring seal and valve seal are good by doing a leak down check. If it is good and you still want more power I'd do the headers first to see if that satisfies your need for speed. If not, consider the cam upgrade. Given the other cars you own, I'm sure you know how "I'm just doing a cam change." can quickly turn into the engine being disassembled due to the "While I'm here I may as we'll...." effect. Let us know what you decide to do. Chuck

I have had my Boss 351 since 2012 and at the time of purchase it was completely stock, using the Autolite carb, stock water pump, stock distributor stock fuel pump....over the years I have had to removes the autolite carb as the car ran like crap with it...the carb probably need a rebuild but i was to afraid to ship off an expense piece to anyone to do so, so I added a Holley making the necessary changes to the intake, once the holley was on, for some reason the fuel pump could not deliver enough fuel to satisfy its thirst so i removed the fuel pump and added a McRobbie one, and just recently i had to change the distributor out and replaced it with an after market piece and the car drives so much better now...the car was a matching numbers car, block and everything else, I have always wanted to make it a more performance car, adding headers and a more aggressive cam and exhaust but never have because the car was totally stock and have kinda of been forced to make  some non stock changes should i move forward with the rest of the changes, thoughts?
What Carb did you use?

Back