Gauge cluster foil - Restore or rewire ?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToBe

Reaction score
My Car
73' Mustang Mach 1 in red with a 351C H-Code
Hi there,

i just managed to get a nicely looking gauge cluster from ebay to replace the after market stuff i got the car with. Condition looks good, but the film on it's back might not be in a good enough condition. The metal lines aren't fixed to the film anymore in some small places. Probably still connecting as it should (Will have to check) but i might get shorts in the future.

So, is it possible to get new replacement film anywhere or would you suggest rewiring it with normal wires?

PS: and on a sidenote. I should be ably to test the gauges with 12V according to the wiring plans, right?

Looks like this (not mine):

Gauges require 5-6V to work correctly, but you can test them with a full 12V; they won't read correctly, though.

A new flexible printed circuit works fine, I replaced mine with a reproduction part. If the wires come off you should definitely replace it.

ToBe has contacted me, and I'll be manufacturing a hard-wired dash cluster harness for him today or tomorrow.

While we'*re at it. does anyone know a way of restoring a very slightly scratched lens for the cluster? Replacement doest seem an option as only non-tach lenses are available.

And thanks for the advice so far!

While we'*re at it. does anyone know a way of restoring a very slightly scratched lens for the cluster? Replacement doest seem an option as only non-tach lenses are available.

And thanks for the advice so far!
Use one of the headlight restoration kits from Mothers or McGuires, etc. Skip the sanding part, just use the compound and buffing disc.

Now that you have the cluster out, changing to LED bulbs is a great upgrade!
I wanted to do this but didnt find anything where i was sure enough that it would fit. Only thing was a full set of LEDs, but with bright blue LEDs for the normal lights. Im just not sure that wouldnt make it look to modern.

Any hint where i could find good LEDs?

I wanted to do this but didnt find anything where i was sure enough that it would fit. Only thing was a full set of LEDs, but with bright blue LEDs for the normal lights. Im just not sure that wouldnt make it look to modern.

I have bought the 'ELITE' series of these leds. I haven't been able to test these yet , but the quality seems to be good!

https://www.hipoparts.com/1965-73-ford-mustang-led-gauge-light-conversion-kit/

For the cluster, I used Scott Drake Instrument Panel LED Set SD7173GABL. It looks a little bit more modern but you can see your cluster at night!!...plus I like blue!

I also changed the bulbs for the lighter, lights switch, wiper switch ans shifter with:

https://www.amazon.com/10-pc-Aqua-Blue-Light-64111/dp/B013G32I20/ref=pd_ybh_a_61?_encoding=UTF8&psc=1&refRID=WWK191GGJGMW07PQ9RB8

If you want, I can post a picture later tonight.

I did the change about 6 month ago…so far it works great!

Rod

Tnx for the hint. I found those LED in my local amazon store, even in white. Didnt know they were so common :)

Back