Paint: Where black meets color?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paul113

Reaction score
My Car
1968 Fastback
1871 Mach 1 M code 4 speed
Well after three years of working on my 71 Mach 1 I'm actually ready for final paint. Can some one post some detailed photos of where the lower blackout meets the color and where the black meets the color around the cowl area. Just want to make sure I get this right. Thanks a ton!

This should help. http://429mustangcougarinfo.50megs.com/paint_info.htm I found the information to be very accurate. Chuck

Great resource as always, Chuck! ::thumb::

The question now is: do you have a 'stripes,' or 'no stripes' car?  'Stripes' will have the second 1/4" stripe running just above the rocker black-out.  "No Stripes" will have just the separation of black-out to body color, since the rocker bright trim will cover the transition.

The yellow car on that link is an original 'no stripe' car, and the owner has added hockey stripes (which is not factory correct, if going for concourse or faithful restoration).  You can see the lack of the second stripe between the bright trim pieces on the second set of pics (the yellow car on the left).

The red car in the pics is without the bright trim, has the second 1/4" stripe above the transition, and is correct for a car having the hockey stripes.

Mine was originally a 'no stripe' car, but I decided replacing the bright trim was too expensive and I was going to add the hockey stripes instead, so I painted my rockers with the 1/4" stripe above the transition.  Since then, I decided not to add the hockey stripes and go back to the bright trim (I've come to like my 'no stripe' look better than the hockey stripes... mostly because everybody goes with the hockey stripes these days). 

Right now, mine looks a little weird (and incorrect) with 'no stripes' and the 1/4" stripe above the rockers... but that's only 1, compared to the hundreds of cars out there with the bright trim and hockey stripes (the opposite end of the spectrum).

All of that goes out the window if you're not worried about concourse or faithful restoration, though - paint it how you like!  We just like to make sure you have all the information you need to help you make a decision and save money if you're trying to 'make it right.'

Hope that helps!

I have a 73 vert with the decor group black out so this is how it is. It is an original car no repaint except for hood and tops of front fenders. I can get more pics if you want. The black was applied first then mask off and color applied. There was still some masking tame under the door sill plates when I took them off. The rear was done very haphazard I guess you could say. There was a lot of color over spray under the front fenders on this car but is original you can see no paint on bolts or suspension. 

I must have the pics of the door sills on a chip somewhere not on computer. I will get a couple and post later. Again this is a 73 vert original factory paint car.

Back