Gear splitter.

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mach1mama

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mach 1, 351 cleveland cobra jet engine. Gold glow, ginger interior. Long tube headers. completely rebuilt engine. Forged piston, roller rockers. lifters. Comp cams. Edelbrook carb and intake. Trush mufflers stainless steele custom exhaust. Added air conditioning, SSBC disc brakes. Rebuilt transmittion. pretty much anything you can do and a BUNCH of body work, functional not cosmetic.
Hello all. I haven't posted anything for a bit.  My apologies that it is a question. I am considering adding a gear splitter in order to gain an overdrive. I have the original C6 transmission.  The transmission was rebuilt in 2009, but then had a refresh in 2014. I attended the 50th and wanted  to make sure everything went well. Any thoughts

I added the Gear Vendor overdrive unit with my C6 and I like it a lot. My rear axle has a 3.89 gear and when in overdrive the rpm is around 2850 at 70mph but this will vary with the diameter of the tires that you are using and your rear axle ratio. If you have a 3.25 rear it will be equivalent to a 2.54 in OD and would turn around 2250rpm at 70mph. I had the 3.25 rear and the rpm is essentially the same with my current 3.89 rear now. The GV OD operates in 2 modes, manual and auto. In manual it can be equivalent to a 6 speed and you must manually do the shifting. In auto mode it acts like a 4 speed and goes into OD at around 45mph. I personally like auto and run in that mode 99% of the time.

Disadvantage is the cost and you have to shorten the driveshaft.

Pros are ease of installation, and no modification is required to the tunnel. Also when you order the unit you tell them your rear end ratio and they calibrate it so your speedometer works correctly with your current setup. No need to change the speedo gear in your transmission.

I have pics in my build thread if you want to see what it looks like.

Thank you for responding so quickly. The Gear Bender was the exact one I was looking at. I am waiting to see if the exchange rate becomes more favourable before I order too many new Shiney things. ?

I have also installed the GV unit. I run a c6 with 3.5 gears and 225 70R14 tires. I love the GV. I tend to operate it manually using the supplied floor switch. I am considering attaching a finger switch to the shifter.

It does take a little bit of practice if you are going to try shifting it and going through the gears. Timing is important so that you don't turn off the OD while at the top of the RPM range while shifting to the next higher transmission gear. For example: If you are in second gear with OD on at 4500 RPM and you turn off the OD the RPM's will jump to 5700 if you don't get the transmission into 3rd year fast enough.

Does your transmission have a shift kit? My transmission changes gears quickly and predictably.

Most of the time when I am driving a bit spirited I will go from first gear to second gear on the transmission, then when the RPM's are up I hit the OD and when it is time I leave the OD on and go into 3rd gear.

(1,2,2 over, 3 over)

I have also installed the GV unit.  I run a c6 with 3.5 gears and 225 70R14 tires.   I love the GV.   I tend to operate it manually using the supplied floor switch.  I am considering attaching a finger switch to the shifter.

It does take a little bit of practice if you are going to try shifting it and going through the gears.   Timing is important so that you don't turn off the OD while at the top of the RPM range while shifting to the next higher transmission gear.   For example:  If you are in second gear with OD on at 4500 RPM and you turn off the OD the RPM's will jump to 5700 if you don't get the transmission into 3rd year fast enough.

Does your transmission have a shift kit?  My transmission changes gears quickly and predictably.

Most of the time when I am driving a bit spirited I will go from first gear to second gear on the transmission, then when the RPM's are up I hit the OD and when it is time I leave the OD on and go into 3rd gear.

(1,2,2 over, 3 over)
It has a mild shift kit, I was actually thinking about changing out the shifter. Mine is the original and it is a little worn and sloppy.  Any suggestions?

Back