tire size

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ccman73

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang CJ
I am going to buy new Magnum rims for by 73 convertible. I am thinking 15 x 8 all the way around. However, according to some tire charts these would rub in the front with 235/60/15s. Does anyone have any actual experience with this combination? I think it would look good with 225/60/15s on all around so not sure I want to push it if it might be a problem.

Also, it seems most people are going with 60s, but according to my rough calculations I should not have any problems with 70s on 15 inch rims (at least if I went with 225s on the front). I am just curious why no one seems to go with 70s since they are bigger and fill the wheel wells better.

235 will look cool on 8 inch too and the 8 inch rim will make the wheel look wider.

I used to run 255/60/15 all around with no rub on the fenders.

You may have a little rubbing on the inner frame rail on the drivers side when you corner full tilt to the left, but that happens with most tire sizes, even the stock ones on many cars, so you need not worry about that. At driving speed you will never turn the wheel that far.

Well... let me say i went to the same calculations for my car... The difference is that i went with 14 inch wheels but the final diameter of the wheel/tire combo should be the same...

Besides, i respected the actual original high of the car, measuring from the ground line (the floor) to the highest point in the roof... According to some data of a 351 Boss i got back then, that high should be 127 centimetres...

My suspension was modified in the front and back... Nothing scary but the last owner liked the 4x4 look on this mustang.. jeje!!

My problem was that y had to drop the car 1 3/4" in the back and 1 1/2" in the front and that meant my clearance was going to be much more complicated...

I decided to go all the way with the results of my calculations and ended up with no problems at all...

The tires i have are 225/75/14 all arround... The final diameter fits perfect for me, in the big wheel opening our cars have and the 225 step looks "normal"... The final Diameter I got is the same as that spec list of a 351 Boss gave.. Dont remember the actual measurements but i do remember my final diameter is 0.9 centimetres bigger.. (3/8" more or less)...

In the front, my cofiguration is the maximun this car car get, being a little lower than I was expected (in my opinion my car should be 3/8" higher in the front, from the coil springs...

In the back, something more wider wouldn´t hurt... the 225 step is Ok but it could go to 265 with no problems if you want a modern look... I choosed the same tires all arround because i´m going after a stock originality look with my 14" wheels and big round tires.

If you are going to use Magnum 15", look at Jorge´s green vert that has an excelent setup with the same parts...

en el elevador MODIF.jpg

This picture has a horrible resolution... Iphone 3G at night :p... But shows a full side view of the car and that can show you the looks of my tire config...

lateral mustang MODIF.jpg

This one is more like a front view but show you that in spite of being into de fender, the front wheel turns all the way without any problem what-so-ever

Well my friend, hope it helps a little!! Keep us posted!

ccman73 you can run 235/60/15 or 245/60/15 on 15x8 all the way around easily. If you go the 235/60/15 I would run 15x7s.
235s on 7 inch rims? That would seem like I would be "squeezing" them on the smaller rims? But I am no tire expert.

ccman73 you can run 235/60/15 or 245/60/15 on 15x8 all the way around easily. If you go the 235/60/15 I would run 15x7s.
Thank you. Do you have any idea if 235/70/15s on 15x7s would be advisable or workable?

Last edited by a moderator:
235s on 7 inch rims? That would seem like I would be "squeezing" them on the smaller rims? But I am no tire expert.

Thank you. Do you have any idea if 235/70/15s on 15x7s would be advisable or workable?
235/70/15 would be a bit tall I would think. I never done it so I don't know. Here is a pic of my magnums 15x7 with 235/60/15 on my brothers Ranchero. 235s weir perfect on 15x7s on 15x8 the outer edges will be prone to weir.

2011 knotts 002.jpg

I'm running 235/60x15's on the front on 8" rims and not a hint of scrubbing. Thinking of lopping a bit off the front coils on the weekend coming, so not sure what will happen then.

I'm running 235/60x15's on the front on 8" rims and not a hint of scrubbing. Thinking of lopping a bit off the front coils on the weekend coming, so not sure what will happen then.
Probably nothing will happen.

A friend of mine had the coils by Mustangs Unlimited that were 1 inch shorter than stock to start with. He cut off another inch and had 255/60/15 on a 15x8 inch Magnum 500 and nothing scrubbed.

I guess you're on the safe side.

Probably nothing will happen.

A friend of mine had the coils by Mustangs Unlimited that were 1 inch shorter than stock to start with. He cut off another inch and had 255/60/15 on a 15x8 inch Magnum 500 and nothing scrubbed.

I guess you're on the safe side.
That's good info to know Mike, thanks! I've got new upper control arms, spring seats and shocks to put in so might lop off half a coil while I'm in there (hopefully half a coil won't make the ride too soft and spongy). Looking from the front it looks like there's plenty of room between the sidewall and the guard lip.

frontwheel.jpg

Back