Non-ac heater box

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Capn_Morgan

Reaction score
My Car
2014 Mustang GT Premium w/Track Pack.
1972 Mach 1 Deluxe.
hey guys. I've got a 72 Mach 1 that I'm restoring. Current issue is the hester box. Car is a non-ac car and the heater box is shot. Metal is rusted and plastc is cracked. They don't make a replica non-ac box but they do make a new ac box. Can you fit a new ac box in a non-ac car? What are the differences? What would have to be done to make this work? I know the heater cores are different. Could I use the ac box with a non-ac door on it so the holes on the heater cores lined up? Surely i can'tbe the only one whos had this problem lol

hey guys. I've got a 72 Mach 1 that I'm restoring. Current issue is the hester box. Car is a non-ac car and the heater box is shot. Metal is rusted and plastc is cracked. They don't make a replica non-ac box but they do make a new ac box. Can you fit a new ac box in a non-ac car? What are the differences? What would have to be done to make this work? I know the heater cores are different. Could I use the ac box with a non-ac door on it so the holes on the heater cores lined up? Surely i can'tbe the only one whos had this problem lol
There are a lot of differences.  For one, the blower motor is in a different place, which requires brackets to be welded to the cowl.  You won't be able to use the footwell vent on the passenger side, and all of the ducting for air delivery is different as well.  And don't get me started on all of the different hole locations in the firewall that need to be filled/drilled.

I have a heater box in good condition that I am not going to use.  Let me grab some photos of it.

Last edited by a moderator:
20170801_191616[1].jpg

20170801_191604[1].jpg

Here you go.  It's a bit dirty and the surface rust on the structure will clean up easily enough.  The plastic is in very good condition.  The blower motor worked when I took it out of the car 8 years ago, and the heater core did not leak.

Latest posts

Back