Non-ac heater box

hey guys. I've got a 72 Mach 1 that I'm restoring. Current issue is the hester box. Car is a non-ac car and the heater box is shot. Metal is rusted and plastc is cracked. They don't make a replica non-ac box but they do make a new ac box. Can you fit a new ac box in a non-ac car? What are the differences? What would have to be done to make this work? I know the heater cores are different. Could I use the ac box with a non-ac door on it so the holes on the heater cores lined up? Surely i can'tbe the only one whos had this problem lol

hey guys. I've got a 72 Mach 1 that I'm restoring. Current issue is the hester box. Car is a non-ac car and the heater box is shot. Metal is rusted and plastc is cracked. They don't make a replica non-ac box but they do make a new ac box. Can you fit a new ac box in a non-ac car? What are the differences? What would have to be done to make this work? I know the heater cores are different. Could I use the ac box with a non-ac door on it so the holes on the heater cores lined up? Surely i can'tbe the only one whos had this problem lol

There are a lot of differences.  For one, the blower motor is in a different place, which requires brackets to be welded to the cowl.  You won't be able to use the footwell vent on the passenger side, and all of the ducting for air delivery is different as well.  And don't get me started on all of the different hole locations in the firewall that need to be filled/drilled.

I have a heater box in good condition that I am not going to use.  Let me grab some photos of it.

---

Mike

2130963701_20170801_1916161.thumb.jpg.3d1fc6e1cf585e6f2ea9395adfbd4d61.jpg

1221009602_20170801_1916041.thumb.jpg.8daca4463170b973c1d0bee29f96d625.jpg

Here you go.  It's a bit dirty and the surface rust on the structure will clean up easily enough.  The plastic is in very good condition.  The blower motor worked when I took it out of the car 8 years ago, and the heater core did not leak.

---

Mike