Holley Carb automatic electric choke wiring

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

1hotboss

Reaction score
My Car
1970 Boss 302
Hi, I recently had some electrical gremlins with my 71 Mustang, it looks like it is all better BUT now my electric choke is working correctly.  When I look at how it is wired and compare it to various google searches I have done it looks like it has been wired incorrectly.  Currently the hot wire is attached to the I terminal of the solenoid.  Which in my understanding leads to the coil, which the automatic choke should not be attached to.  I read that I can attach the hot wire to the Stat terminal of the alternator.  I know it needs a 12V ignition on source.  Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

I would wire it to the hot side of the solenoid.  Easy peasy
Huh?  Then the choke would always be on, as the hot side of the solenoid is the battery post.

The I line on the VR may or may not be the right pin, depending upon whether you have an alternator indicator lamp or an ammeter.  Ignore which pin and go for the green/red wire that goes to the VR.  The STATOR terminal on the alternator is only hot when the alternator is turning (engine running).

The stator voltage is about half of battery voltage. The Ford electric chokes were designed for the reduced voltage. Using the stator on aftermarket carburetors may result in slow opening and/or incomplete opening.

Last edited by a moderator:
I took an easy route - put a male connector on the end of the wire and plugged it into the carb throttle solenoid female connection. Don't have the solenoid on the Holley.

Back