Question About Rear Shocks

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Scotty

Reaction score
My Car
1973 Q Code Mach 1
Hello all. Seeking your wisdom. Own a 73 Mach 1.

Last year I installed new leaf springs in the rear. Nothing fancy, just stock. Still didn't get me the ride I want. Last week I started off by changing both front and rear shocks to stiffen up my suspension. Basically wanting to take away the "floatiness," so I can drive it harder and enjoy more corners.

The QA1 I ordered  are an adjustable shock so I can stiffen the ride as I desire. Problem came when I took out the rear shocks, the new ones were too short. The one that just came out are 18". The new ones are only 16" and there is no 18" available. Went back to supplier who insisted these are the correct shocks for the vehicle. He suggested suspension is not stock, however, it is.

Anyone run into this before? Got a suggestion for shock size or solution?

Looking at the picture of your car attached the rear does appear to be a little higher than stock. This year like many other years of the early mustangs tend to squat a bit in the rear. Leaf springs do tend to settle with a little bit of time after they are first installed. I would run your original rear shocks for a couple of weeks and give the rear springs a chance to settle.

Well here is my confusion. I spoke with the QA-1 people while on the hotrod power tour and they informed me they only offered Front adjustable shocks for the 71-73 cars. I just checked their website and could only find the front shocks listed.

Are your rear shackles a stock length? That can make a difference.

I would take some on-the-car measurements. With the car's weight on the rear wheels I would measure the distance between the shock mounts and distance from the axle to bump stop. I would also measure the distance between the shock mounts with the weight off the rear wheels. This should give you an idea of what length of shocks you actually need. It's possible that the shocks you took out weren't correct.

Last edited by a moderator:
I recently ordered QA1 non adjustable for my 73, and they sent me one rear shock that was the correct length and one that was two inches shorter (see pic). They were both in boxes that were labeled with the correct part but one was a shorter version for a different application. Unfortunately I'm a little fuzzy on what the lengths of the two were when I measured them. Maybe you can look at the extensions in the picture and see which one looks like the ones you got. Summit lists the extended length at 17".

Scott

Hello all. Here is an update in case anyone else runs into this.

The new rear shocks I have are QA1 TS601 and yes they are adjustable.

The end result is a have ordered 2 shock extensions to add 1 " to make it work.

Once I get the extensions and all is done, I will update.

Maybe the difference between those two are that the one of them are for lowered applications and the other one is'nt? I know Viking shocks does make two versions, one for stock ride height to 1" lowered and another one for 1" to 2" lowered applications. Maybe that's why the suspension travel are different for those two, just a thought? :)

Back