A first ride story

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToBe

Reaction score
My Car
73' Mustang Mach 1 in red with a 351C H-Code
Yesterday was the day i finally got my Mach1. I sent it to the repair shop after buying as the braks were horrible and carburator had issues. Was a bit longer than expected as the shop discovered some more things i didnt see when buying. But yesterday ... finaly on the road

Had a real good day with two friends (a buick skylark and torino) driving around the area. And then, we just seperated and drove for home ... engine dead.

My mechanic told me the carburator might go a bit too hotand give me headaches then. So i wasn't to annoyed. Waited and started, nothing, only the starter working it's ass off. Waiting again, starting ... by now the battery decided to break down. My mechanic luckily wasnt far away and started to jump-start. Nope, battery is not low, it's broken. A now one was in his trunk by luck so we took this one. Still no starting engine.

My friends from earler showed up with some startpilot (dont know the english word. The spray to help starting a stalled engine). Still nothing ...

By then tow service was the only option left. Everything was planned. My first day turning out to be my last again ... then someone noticed a small loose wire dangling behind the ignition coil. Plugged in, started on first try even with completely soaked engine. :D

Well, might not sound like much of a story, but thought it fun that such a small and easy problem can have such consequences ;)

PS: Got time for a shooting a moment later

Any similar stories to share? ;)

After sitting a while they all have issues. It's a 'great' story even if it caused you a bit of grief. What a beautiful car you have. I can't imagine how great is must be to drive aroud Europe in one of these classics.

I know when I go to different places I always think how great it would be to have my convertible with me (except India, LOL).

Enjoy the car, again, it's a beauty.

Similar thing happened to me right after I got my Bronco. I had driven it across town, and stopped at a wheel place to look at wheels, then when I went to start it, turned the key and Nothing. No click, no nothing. I tried jumping the solenoid and nothing. Thats when it hit me. My Bronco uses a 2 wire starter. A power cable and a starter trigger wire (Solenoid on the starter (PMGR)). So I crawled under and sure enough, the starter trigger wire had come off. Put it back on, and off I went.

I was driving my first '72 home from college (back when I was much younger) and it died while waiting for the light at a four-way intersection. I pushed it to the side of the road to start diagnosing it. Opened the hood and all seemed right there. Looked under the dash and there was a wire with a bare end that wasn't connected to anything but it was touching the metal structure of the dash. . 

Here is where I am building in suspense giving you a chance to figure out what the wire was.  :whistling:

A previous owner must have had an aftermarket tach installed. After his buddy wrecked the car (right before he was going to sell it) the Mustang went to the salvage yard. Either the owner pulled the tach or the salvage yard sold it. The wire just rode around until it finally grouded out the coil stopping spark. It was a fluke that I found it without too much searching and I was able to drive it home

z5aU4JJxhz-1OgzdsvfYeeKS97LBEi4DE6SgWuBOjyQ=w344-h223-p-no

Last edited by a moderator:
Back