Crack or not?

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Vinnie

Project manager "Project AmsterFoose"
7173 Mustang Supporter Member
Reaction score
My Car
1973 Mustang Grande 351C 2V, built on the very last production day (July 6, 1973) for Grande's.
Hey guys,

Today I noticed something on my engine that's got me a bit worried. I never noticed this before due to bed lighting but today it became very visible:

IMG_6386.JPG

IMG_6390.JPG

Is this a crack in the front of my driver's side cylinder head or is it from the (bad) cast?

The engine runs better than ever and everything around the "crack" seems OK.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Vincent.

I recall back in the days that there were for 2V's some castings done in USA and some in Mexico.

My original 2v block was made in Mexico, and just like yours, heads & block were having cracks and very raw outer surface.

When I upgraded to 4v with boss 351 heads and a 71 4 bolts block made in USA, difference in appearance was massive. smooth surface.

I would not worry too much on this, if there were some leaks, you'd know by now and you'd see some deposits along the crack.

Last edited by a moderator:
In my opinion it should be ok to leave it how it is but you could take this as a reason to upgrade if you feel like it. Perhaps put some type of sealer in it and sand it if you do not like the appearance of the crack.

Last edited by a moderator:
That is a parting line in the mold. Almost all 351c heads have something like that visible.

Haha, wait till you pull the intake manifold off for the first time and spot the ugly 'hole' in the block and wonder what the heck broke off. Got me the first time I saw it. Every once in a while someone will ask on the forum.

Back