Aluminum heads

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

smacioch

Reaction score
My Car
1973 mustang convertible 302 4 speed 4 barrel blue
I have a 1973 convertible with a 302 motor. The engine is starting to burn some oil along with some blow-by and I think it is time to do some upgrading. I was thinking about getting some aluminium heads and intake. I was wondering if it is just as easy as taking off the old ones and dropping in the new ones. I'm not a mechanic but I do work on somethings. Also of anyone has done this what kind of aluminum heads would you recommend? I was trying to stick around 1000-1500. Also was wondering what else I will have to get to get this job done part wise. Any help would be real helpful. Thanks

Aluminum GT40 heads make a nice upgrade and don't break the bank.

https://www.summitracing.com/parts/fms-m-6049-x306?seid=srese1&cm_mmc=pla-google-_-shopping-_-srese1-_-ford-performance-parts&gclid=Cj0KCQjw5arMBRDzARIsAAqmJexVxrKcxaRpT1S0oniXyRHAchzKPRIOsERCs4pt5aJ5JFWUJoaxnVcaAgOhEALw_wcB

You'll need to go through the rest of the engine, too. At a minimum rings and bearings, but depending on the condition of the cylinders and pistons you may need bored and/or pistons. The crank may need to be resurfaced. The oil pump needs to be checked over.

Or, as NG suggested get a newer F.I. 302, you can install a carburetor on it, if you want. '98 to '01 Explorers have the iron GT40p heads. They already have a roller cam that makes it easier to upgrade.

Last edited by a moderator:
If your getting blow by on the pistons, I would go ahead and pull the motor. Then pull the heads, intake, accessories, pulleys, water pump, timing cover, oil pan. Then take the rest to the machine shop. Have them go thru it and check it all out. It may be fine, and just need a re-ring, it may need some work, but at least you will know and wont be guessing and setting yourself up for failure, engine failure that is. Adding alot of extra power to a worn out engine is asking for big time trouble. So its better to go ahead and bite the bullet and do it right the 1st time instead of picking up engine pieces out of the road.

So, find a good machine shop. Take them the loaded short block. They will check out all the bearings, pistons, cylinder bores, crankshaft, crank bores and machine accordingly. I might suggest if you have to re-ring it, to go with some nice pistons that up the compression a TINY bit, not alot or you will have to use Premium fuel exclusively and no one wants that, unless you do on purpose. Then you could consider a cam swap, just work that out with the machine shop, tell them what you want to achieve, and let them pick the head/intake/cam package. The Edelbrock top end package is a proven time tested combo that will suite 90% of everyones needs. If you want more than that can offer you can go for some trick flow twisted wedge cnc ported heads or some AFR cnc ported heads. Just talk it over with the machine shop so they can do what is needed to make the ENTIRE package perform like you want it to. Whatever heads you choose they will likely have to re-deck the block and possibly tweak the new heads as well. Also your pushrod length will almost certainly change. You will also want to use some nicer roller rocker arms with those new heads. Your old cam and lifters wont be worth re-using either. You will likely need a new carb to go with this, and a new fuel pump and filter. I would also discuss the merits of some low cost additional displacement using a stroker kit. You can build it as a 347 stroker relatively inexpensively. Theres no replacement for displacement, but if you dont need it, its money saved.

As always remember the domino effect. Nothing corrupts like power. Taking a motor that in 1971 had 210hp and now 46 years later has somewhat less than that remaining, then doubling it can have a deleterious effect on any weak link down stream. Putting a motor in that has 350-400hp to replace one that had 210hp can cause many issues, such as exploding the "who knows how long ago it was rebuilt if ever" transmission, or the probably never rebuilt 8" rear end. At the bare minimum you will have some U joint failure after standing on it a few times and you will be picking up the drive shaft out of the road and calling a tow truck.

If your transmission is weak, consider upgrading to a C6 or AOD.

And as always dont forget about STOPPING. If your using stock 4 wheel drum brakes that maybe were looked at 10 years ago, you can go ahead and factor in a disc brake conversion, at least on the front. And if your thinking that your stock 14" drum brake rims will work with that, think again. Most of the kits I have seen such as the Wilwood conversion for 14" wheels state that they will NOT work with 14" wheels from a front drum car, but they do provide all the clearance measurements so you can measure and judge for yourself. If you only have manual brakes you will want to do a Brake Booster conversion to go with it and a new Proportional valve. If your keeping the rear drum brakes, and theres nothing wrong with that, I would at least change the wheel cylinders, shoes, drums and all the hardware. I would also flush all the lines and seriously consider replacing all the lines with the stainless steel pre-bent line kits that CJP sells.

So theres a little more to it than just poping the old heads off and dropping the new ones in place.

You can always just buy some heads and stick them on though. It may last a couple of years like that if your careful.

I was going to check the pistons out when I had the heads off. You just don't know what it looks like until the heads are pulled. I guess I will start there and if I have to dig into it more then I guess I will get the block and piston looked at

Can't really afford a new motor to drop in plus right now it is all original. Thanks

Do a leak down check before you do anything else. It should tell you the condition of the rings and valve seating. Chuck

A leak down test uses a special toll you can rent from the parts store that screws into the spark plug hole. Then you pressurized the cylinder with compressed air and watch the gauge. You will have to turn over the motor by hand until both valves are closed. Then if you have bad rings or valve seats the pressure will drop.

Compression test is similar but you don't pressurize the cylinder. You just have someone bump the starter and read the gauge , don't forget to remove the coil wire

What narrows it down to be the rings or the seats themselves

If you hear no hissing in the carb or in the exhaust but the leak rate is high (more than 20% to me), it is leakage around the rings for whatever reason. Hissing in the exhaust indicates exhaust sealing problem, same thing for the intake. Getting the piston to stay put under pressure can be a bit tricky but, the test yields more information than a compression test.  Chuck

Burning oil and blow-by can be valve guides. An engine can sustain a lot of wear on the cylinders, pistons, and rings and still show acceptable compression and leakdown test results. After you get the heads off the ridge at the top of the cylinders will be indicative of the amount of wear on the cylinders, without measuring the bores. The ridge at the bottom of the cylinder is more difficult to see with the pistons in. I have seen engines with only a slight, or no ridge at the top that have excessive wear at the bottom.

Personally, I wouldn't do any major upgrades, like heads, without a complete teardown.

smacioch,

I would recommend looking into a crate motor. The 302 roller I have in my 1973, was rebuilt with Tri-State Aluminum cylinder heads, air flow aluminum intake, was as much or more than a good crate motor. The times I spent gathering parts, delivering to the machine shop, picking back up.

example: http://www.phoenixengine.com/CratesMain.html#FordAll

A very good friend of mine bought a complete turn-key crate with AOD from https://prestigemoto.com/. The build was documented, dyno tested and ready to run. He pulled his 289 combo and dropped in the new crate system, connected all related electrical fuel points and off he went.

https://prestigemoto.com/

mustang7173

Thanks, I think I will do some looking for a 302 crate motor

Back