mystery code!!

7173Mustangs.com

Help Support 7173Mustangs.com:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
My Car
1973 mach 1
this is my warranty plate for my 73 mach 1...soon as i showed it too my buddy a local mustang restore and judge....he said..wow there shouldnt be a j code on there....and i said..is it a mistake? he said..no..cause its something made on that car ford wanted to warranty...well we faxed it too marti and they had big question marks above there heads too...whatever the code is..its lost too time and space...but kinda cool its on there!! soooo look over them warranty cards if you got them and see if you got the same!!:)

Last edited by a moderator:
ya...i have found a few odds and ends on the car that are hard to explain...usual plugs under the seat that are not hooked up..usualy seat belt alarm unhooked...but could be auto seat release too......i noticed some old eletronics back in the trunk..mounted up high too were i never seen or notice it all these years...i pointed it out too my buddy and said...maybe a rear window defroster? he said no...it was all hid very nicely...then he said..notice the odd metal cross bars on your trunk lid ? i said ya? and there painted red too match everything..i thought all mustangs had them..he said it looks too be some kinda old 1970's alarm or trunk release....he said he never seen anything like it...im going to try too really get in there and see what the heck it is too..lol.

and when pulling the motor out to refreshin it...i found the power steering lines didnt go too right too the steering box....and seemed too run into the firewall and then too it....well..found a factory ford power steering cooler under the power steering pump...been there all these years and i never new....i guess ford put that one on the decked out boss and cobrajet's..was the first time i ever seen one thou..she does steer really responsive..you can drive it with your pinky..lol

the power steering cooler is part of the extra cooling option... My car should have it too but the little radiator is missing now :(

Usally this "radiator" is visible in the engine bay but i think its location depends on the engine... Mine is an I6 and it should go just in front of the pump...

the rest of your finds are pretty rare for what i know... COOL!!! :)

ya ..mine was mounted under the pump...and after years of collecting powersteering grime..it was hard to notice..lol..still had factory mounts..and i could tell it hasnt been touched sence it was new..lol..aww is that what is it?..part of a cooling package? i was reading were they found them mostly on big block stangs along with a saginaw steering box ? but it was a while ago...and info could be half right as usual..lol

and one more thing i did find..was a small 3,000 rpm torque converter in the trans..which backs up info i found about it online that ford put some special 3,000 rpm converters in c6 trans in 4v clevelands...had a little green one in there..with the right serial numbers

ya ..mine was mounted under the pump...and after years of collecting powersteering grime..it was hard to notice..lol..still had factory mounts..and i could tell it hasnt been touched sence it was new..lol..aww is that what is it?..part of a cooling package? i was reading were they found them mostly on big block stangs along with a saginaw steering box ? but it was a while ago...and info could be half right as usual..lol

and one more thing i did find..was a small 3,000 rpm torque converter in the trans..which backs up info i found about it online that ford put some special 3,000 rpm converters in c6 trans in 4v clevelands...had a little green one in there..with the right serial numbers
The 10" converter was part of the 351 CJ package,"Q"code.

Back